News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

headlight doors are brass in '49?

Started by ccp49, May 28, 2012, 02:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccp49

Going through the headlight assemblies.  I need one of the brackets that is riveted to the headlight bucket.  it is used to secure the headlight door to the assembly using the larger of the two holes.  Question - is the other small hole there just for drainage?
I noticed that all of my doors are rust free, but have various levels of crud build-up.  so, I took some 400 grit sandpaper to one that is damaged, just to see how easy how well they were going to clean up with a polishing routine.  Didn't take too long to get down to brass.  Check another to see if maybe this was an aftermarket piece.  Another was brass. 
Also noticed that there were two types of mechanisms used to hold the door in place on the bucket on the opposite side from the screw.  I have a couple doors with a metal clip/tang brazed on the inside of the door.  I also have a couple doors with special wire clips used to hold the rubber seal that are also adapted to function as a clip that is inserted into the slot on the light bucket.  The brazed brackets are much more robust but, unfortunately, one of the pieces with the bracket is damaged.  Might be worth salvaging the damaged one since it has the brazed bracket. 

Lastly, the wire clips that hold in the rubber seal on the back side of the door need to be replaced.  In summary, I need the following:
1.  one bracket for securing the door to the light bucket.
2.  two sets of wire clips that hold the door seal in place.   

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dan Barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

49 Convertible

To answer your questions regarding brass head light dooe, maybe you sanded down to the copper which is used prior to nickle before chroming.  They, as far as I know, were all just steel as I have nt heard pr seen any in brass.  The wire clips used to hold the rubber gasket can be bought from any fo the companies that sell screws, nuts and  bolts. restoration specialties is one that carries them
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

ccp49

Herman,
That's what I'd expect, but I saw the color underneath and thought brass.  In the pic above, you can see the color underneath - weird color for copper. This calls for some more sanding to see what I find.   
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

gary griffin

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

ccp49

Not magnetic!  So, I think that confirms the doors are not steel.  Interesting. 
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Caddy Wizard

They could be chrome plated stainless steel.  The stainless would not be terribly magnetic and the chrome plating would include a layer of copper (that will look similar to brass, since it won't have oxidized).

Art G
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

ccp49

thought about that, but since there is so much unplated stainless trim elsewhere on the car, why would they choose the expense of plating these?
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Caddy Wizard

It could be that they were supposed to be polished stainless.  Over the years, the stainless became somewhat dull (needed to be polished).  So maybe the previous owner had them chrome plated.

On another note, I have often wondered why the vertical parts of the 49 grill (the teeth) are stainless, while the horizontal parts are chrome plated plain steel.

Art
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Jeff Maltby 4194

Dan. I've never seen one rotted, so I'd say SS chrome plated as mine are starting to show tiny blisters.

As for the horizontal grille bars, maybe too hard to form with SS ? 

I have one good H-18 bucket and 3 inner clips for the cost of shipping.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

ccp49

excellent, Jeff!  Thank you.  Please make sure the clip on the bucket is in good shape. Looks like the rust thins the metal out and opens the hole up for the mount screw.  So, how is it that you have a good bucket and 3 clips? With only one clip per bucket, you have two trashed buckets?
good point on the formability of mild steel vs stainless. 
Dan
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jeff Maltby 4194

Hi Dan. I have 3 good wire clips for the inner head light bezel/ring.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

ccp49

I have found more brass while going cleaning up some more parts.  The fog light reflectors, which appear to have been given a thin coat of nickel.  which began to come off after some work with Mothers metal polish to shine them up. 
Also was cleaning up some of the dash switches/knobs and they are chrome plated brass. 
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

4860S

When we were tidying up my '48 Fleetwood 60, we found that all of the stainless that we removed had been chrome plated. That included headlight rims and all the sill molds. My fog light reflectors aren't brass. Dont know about the dash knobs but they look like plated die castings to me.

John

ccp49

Sorry, on the dash knobs, I was talking about the part that is threaded and gets a nut to tighten to the mounting bracket.  It has a chrome face with a hole through the middle for the vent pull rod, etc. 
Yes, the knob itself does appear to be plated cast piece.  Will confirm soon.   
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Chasmann

Hello Dan .I have some inner clips for the headlight ring. If you need some i will be happy to send them to you.Charlie M..
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Caddy Wizard

The 48-49 fog light reflectors are supposed to be nickel or silver plated -- not chrome.  Chrome reflects better and is easy to have done.  But the original finish for this part was not chrome.  Careful with the polish, or you'll remove the original finish...

Art G
Art Gardner