News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Blotches and dry spots in paint - repaint or blending flash?

Started by Matt Innocenzi, May 29, 2012, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Innocenzi

Hello all, this weekend I put the base coat down on my 1962 Fleetwood.  The temperature was 85-90 degrees and I used mild temp reducer.  On big areas, such as a the roof and hood, the paint flashed quicker than I could overlap the next pattern, leaving blotches and dry spots that feel rough to the touch.  I tried to show the effects in the attached photo.

The color is Avalon Blue, which has a metallic in it.  Because of the metallic, I am reluctant to sand it before putting on the clear coat.  My other options are to sand it and re-coat it, or apply a blending flash to get the paint to flow out.  I never used a blending flash before and wanted to see what suggetions or ideas were out there.  Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

kkarrer

Matt,
      I'm not sure as to why that happened, but it looks like you may have been pushing too much air or maybe you moved too fast or shot from too far away in some places...basically shooting too dry.  Sanding base coat, especially when it has metallic, is really NOT recommended.  If you sand it and come back on it with more base, the previous base coat will likely react on the edges of the sanded areas and you'll get a nasty result and the application of the metallic may be uneven.  In order to get a consistent coat, you're going to have to reshoot the entire panel.  The question is what do you do before you reshoot it?  If the areas aren't too rough and you're going to shoot 3 good coats of clear, I'd say just reshoot it as long as you're still inside the window for recoating.  Check the instructions on the back of the can or your supplier to be sure.  Some brands have a 24hr. window others (like Sikkens) can be recoated any time.  If you're over the time limit the recommended thing to do is to lightly sand the rough areas (I'd hit it with 800 and water and almost no weight) and then dry, wipe down, apply a sealer and reshoot.  Call me if you have questions.  I've been through this many times and there are some alternatives, but they're a bit lengthy to explain here and not know the product or the time that's lapsed really does matter.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe
512-626-7268
kkarrer@austin.rr.com