News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

radiator hoses wanted for 1941 cadillac 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, May 29, 2012, 01:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

anyone know where to buy the radiator hoses for 41 60 special thanks john

kkarrer

Lots of places have them (McVeys and All Cads usually), but I got mine from Charlie Babcock in Florida.  He's listed in the registry.  What ever you do, DON'T get the flex hoses and DO get the type with the spring insert for the lower hose.  Charlie also has the correct clamps.  Here's another tip... you may have to trim the length of the hoses.  Lay them out first and trim 1/2 of the total necessary from each end or use the same length as your old ones were.  For those who are doing a frame off restoration, you will find that the distance from your radiator and core support to your fan is at first going to be completely governed by the length of your upper radiator hoses.  That radiator can flex a lot, especially front to back, with no fenders in place.  If you're doing a frame off restoration, wait to cut the hoses until you've fitted your hood and fenders along with the radiator and core support.  Believe it or not the length of the hoses will govern how the hood latch lines up.  Yes, those latches are adjustable, but another aspect of adjustment is the radiator hoses.  If they're too long they will keep the radiator and core support from achieving the correct angle relative to the engine and fan.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

mr41cadillac

thanks i found the upper ones at autozone and lower one at advance

kkarrer

John,
      Cool.  You might post pictures and part numbers as it might be helpful as other folks look for this stuff.  I've spent hours matching hoses and parts of hoses at AutoZone and O'Reilly's and have gotten into the habit of tearing off the part number and taping it up on my beadblaster with a little scribbling about the year make and model. Did the lower hose have a spring in it?  Some of the softer, larger diameter hoses need that to keep the lower hose from collapsing where it  bends (when things heat up).
Ken Karrer
1941 6227 D coupe

Bill Podany #19567

From my experience with a 41 60S Charlie Babcock in Sarasota, Florida is the most venerable resource.  Purchase all the hoses, and clamps as directed; flush your cooling system, and even change the water pump (buy the deluxe one from Babcock) and your 41 Cadillac will run cooler.  Trust me from experience.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
41 60 Special
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

mr41cadillac

the top hoses i got fron auto zone number 81031 dayco. the bottom hose was from advance i cant find my receipt. it was to long i cut it.neither leak look good and had the spiral metal inside john