News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Reshaping Paper Air Ducting - '57 Series 62

Started by Dan Koser, May 30, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

Has anyone tried this before? The driver's side air duct behind the kick panel is very misshapen, and I'd like to reshape it to better fit the door and the aluminum housing containing the heater core. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards,   Dan

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

That's funny, I was just looking at the same problem on my 54. I was thinking of maybe soaking it then wedging it open to the right shape with bits of wood till it [hopefully !] dries to the right shape. But, like you , I would love to find out if anyone has successfully reshaped these and what method they have used.
Phil

Quentin Hall

That's exactly what I did on my 57. Soaked them in water and chocked them with wood and clothes pegs till they dried. Some of the paper will have dlaminated so I coated all with PVA glue once dried.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have also used a Steam Iron (not the one the wife uses) and it works well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Any thought of using spray starch to add stiffness to the cardboard when it dries? 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

That's good to know, there's another job that I can do !
Phil

Dan Koser

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on May 30, 2012, 06:01:41 PM
That's funny, I was just looking at the same problem on my 54. I was thinking of maybe soaking it then wedging it open to the right shape with bits of wood till it [hopefully !] dries to the right shape. But, like you , I would love to find out if anyone has successfully reshaped these and what method they have used.
Phil
I just dove into this and did basically what is mentioned above. There was some cracking of the paper, but I've got it clamped to a work table with wood fit inside and on top with weights on top of that to try to approximate the original shape. I used a spray bottle with water and soaked it pretty well, and now have to wait until it dries to see if it worked. I like the idea of putting something on it to stiffen it. I've still got some repairs to make, but have used "Liquid Nails" successfully in the past to repair this type of material....and duct tape. Regards,   Dan

Quentin Hall

Yes good ol' Duct tape. . . If it's good enough for Apollo 13 , then it's good enough for me . . .  ;D
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dan Koser

This re-shaping project is done, and the duct is installed behind the kick panel, so it's wounds will forever be forgotten........however, I'd still prefer if someone made replacements. It was an ugly job....I'd get one place fixed and another would crack/break in the process. It turned out to be pretty frustrating and the end product wasn't what I would have liked, but I think it will approximately do the job it was created for....and like I said, it's out of sight!

55 cadi

Hello,

I know this is old post but in case people have not found the replacements for the air ducts behind the door panel and kick panels there is a company that reproduces them......
Cadillacpartsltd they are about $90 plus shipping for all 4 pieces

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville