News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Value[less] early 30's Cadillacs in 1938

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, June 03, 2012, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Just got my new SS. Check out the small B & W insert picture on page 13. They were ALREADY tow trucks! One looks like a conv. cpe. V8,12,16? Maybe some of you guys with eagle eyes can ID them?  Pretty sad.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The big "problem" back in those days was that the makers changed their designs so often, like every year, that the older-looking vehicles became outdated and everyone wanted the "fresh" new look.

These days, with so many models for each manufacturer per year, it is too costly to make the changes each and every year.   That is why it is difficult to instantly recognise vehicles unless you are up close, and can read the name, and model.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TMoore - NTCLC

My father worked in a salvage yard in his teens (during the depression) and he tells me that they would pay between $2.00 and $4.00 for lesser cars (Model 'T's and such), but for luxury cars, they would pay as much as $12.00 (Locomobiles which had brass stanchions for the spare tires were a favorite find).  The cars would be set on fire to burn out the wood frames, then they would salvage the metal.  When he thinks of some of the cars he torched in that junk yard........

Times have changed.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Remember that there was a depression on and that these cars cost a lot to maintain and to keep in gas and tires. Cars wore out a lot faster in those days.

If you could buy a new Ford or Chevy for $600. bucks or so, you would have at least a couple of years of trouble free use. The used luxury car that some rich guy wore out before you must have seemed pretty unattractive.

Hence the low prices.

Wayne Womble 12210

Even most trucks were not as heavy and strong as the big Cadillacs.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just goes to show that the Auto Industry was thinking about the safety of occupants when the change from Timber to Steel in the construction of vehicles progressed to what we have now.

Imagine how many pedestrians were impaled by flying splinters, even though they weren't involved. ;)

Plus, notice how many tyres were bald.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible