News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950 Hydramatic Throttle Lever Adjustment

Started by Deano, June 04, 2012, 12:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deano

Hello Everyone.

I am trying to set up the Hydramatic throttle lever as per the shop manual.  The manual suggests I use a special tool to determine the correct positioning for the clevis based on the clevis pin location.  I do not own or know of anyone that owns this tool and wondered whether there was another way I could accurately set up the lever.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dean Van Ingen.

Bob Schuman

Dean,
There should be an attachment copied from April 1951 Cadillac Serviceman Bulletin sent to dealers, that describes the special gauge for adjusting the HydaraMatic throttle lever on the transmission. I don't have the gauge, but made one using pieces of flat and angle aluminum and bolting the pieces together.  To get the specified measurement, the gauge needs to drop down from the machined surface on the back of the case, then outward toward the driver side of the car, then forward to the throttle lever. It's not really as hard as it sounds, once you look at the transmission.

The 4.271 inch dimension in the bulletin is for late 1950 and all 1951 cars, which met my needs. If yours is an earlier 1950 model, the bulletin does not give a measurement for that, but possibly you can blow up the drawing and scale the dimension.

If you need to bend the throttle lever, don't allow it to go against its internal stop. You will need to hold the lever  while trying to bend it to the correct dimension. It may also be possible to loosen it on the transmission and reposition it.

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Deano

Thank you Bob.

That is great.  I received some local feedback but (in my mind) without adjusting this lever first, it was a bit of guess work.  I really appreciate the effort you have gone to in response to my question.

Regards.

Dean Van Ingen.