News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Turnswitch or RetroRadio

Started by Antoni Deighton, June 11, 2012, 06:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

I'm looking to get my late-sixties AM/FM Stereo radio repaired/restored. I'm trying to decide between sending it to Turnswitch or RetroRadio.

About the only differences are that Turnswitch will restore the radio and add an iPod input, whereas RetroRadio will only add the input if the insides are converted to digital (although it's reversible).

Restoring is cheaper than converting, and Turnswitch also sell the original style 8-10 Ohm speakers. I think the turn-around at RetroRadio is going to be quicker.

I've spoken to both companies and both sound great, so I'm going to throw it out to the board. Does anyone have experiences or recommendations? Quality? Price? Reliability?

Thanks,

Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Doug Houston

I can't endorse either of those places. But, if I understand it right, one of them will gut the radio case and install an AM-GM circuit board in the set, definitely avoid them.

I understand that there is a little convertor for audio input to the radio, which plays through the antenna circuit. That's what I'd do with any set of mine.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Antoni Deighton

Doug,

Thanks for your response. Are your reservations for reasons of originality? Or are there technical reasons why you would choose to use the antenna circuit for the audio input?

As far as I understand it, the restored version would use an input similar (or perhaps identical to) what would have been used for a dealer installed 8-track.

I have two identical radios, (both came with the car) so I'm looking for the best solution that I can use in a car I plan to drive, while keeping an original radio for resale/originality. I was wondering if there were power limitations of the original version that might be solved by switching to digital "guts" or if anyone had a good or bad experience with either company.
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)