Author Topic: Collector Car Insurance + Road Trip = 0?  (Read 10975 times)

Offline mgbeda

Collector Car Insurance + Road Trip = 0?
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have a couple collector cars other than Ol' Bessie, and I have them insured with a major collectors' insurance company whose name rhymes with Flagerty.  Here's my dilemma:  I want to take one of them on a road trip next month, but I am told that my insurance does not allow that.  And it seems that is typical of collector's insurance companies.

Are there any collectors' insurance companies out there that DO allow a road trip?  I'm really surprised that not only can I not find one, but that I don't even find people complaining about their absence.  It seems to me that classic cars and road trips would be a pretty natural combination.  Just try to find an issue of a car magazine that doesn't have a story about a road trip.  Heck, even the last issue of the Bagerty magazine featured a story about someone driving a Duesenberg from New England to Indiana.  I wonder where he got insurance?

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Re: Collector Car Insurance + Road Trip = 0?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »
Did you actually call and talk to Hagerty?

My policy reads "limited pleasure drives are permitted with no mileage
restrictions".  Now I don't know what "limited" means in their terms, but
pleasure drives are NOT disallowed.  This is in addition to club events &
shows, which are of course covered.

If you do call them, please report back what they tell you.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Offline Jeff Wilk

• J. Wilk CLC # 25630
  • The Past + The Future = My Heaven on Earth
  • Name: Jeff Wilk
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
Definitely call them. One of the best features of that company i believe is that they actually allow you to use and enjoy your cars within reason. They actually state that there are no mileage limits as long as the car is not used for daily activities. But the Occasional pleasure drive or club use or parade or evening out is totally fine
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Offline planetcadillac

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
I have *agerty and from what I understand is that if you have a claim (on your car or against you) they will more or less approve it if the circumstances of the claim are reasonable and the usage coincided with a car event or related. I am driving several hours next week to get the Auto Train to go to the GN and I fully assume that any damages incurred during that trip portion will be covered in addition to those that might occur on or around the show venue.

It is sort of like cops and robbers, if you get caught you have an iron-clad alibi you walk. If you park your car on the street in NY in front of your girlfriend's walk-up, well probably not... If you hit someone and get a DUI probably not as well... ;-)
Craig Seman #17308

Offline mgbeda

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
No, I called them and they were adamant that I can't use the car for a road trip, unless I'm driving in a club tour or going to a show.  So I can drive it to the other side of the country if there's a car show there, but I can't go to visit old friends.

Their definition of a pleasure drive is one that starts and ends from your home.

They don't even offer coverage for a road trip for extra cost, though I would be willing to pay for it.

So it seems my only option is to put the car on my regular insurance and cancel the hagerty policy.  Then later probably change back.  It's not the money that bothers me, it's the paperwork!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Offline quadfins

• Jim Eccleston
  • Administrator
  • CLC Number: 16079
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
How about one of the competitors? I am insured with American Collectors, and they have been most accommodating.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Offline waterzap

• CLC Number: 26896
  • Name: Waldo Du Toit
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:51 PM »
I have State Farm Classic Car Insurance. They do offer it, but they dont advertise it. Most agents might not even know about it.
You dont have to keep the car in a locked garage, and you can pretty much drive it as you want, just not as a daily driver. Also had to submit a bit more paperwork than with Hagerty, photos of the inside, outside and engine of the car. Car cannot be a beater.
Charlotte, NC
-1978 Eldorado Coupe

Offline planetcadillac

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
Waldo -

Who is your agent? I have State Farm in Charlotte for my regular cars and house (Happy Mullen).

What kind of agreed value policy is it? That is the kicker with most policies. On a normal policy you have to argue with the various insurance agencies over how much the car is worth and what they will pay and how. With at least Hagerty my car is insured for a said amount and that is the amount that is used to figure cost of damages, totalling and what have you. Also, I have total control of the repair process.

I like State Farm for reglular stuff, I am not sure about for classic car insurance. I just don't want to get burned.

Of course there is the cost. I have two classic cars under Hagerty insurance and with the plus service with towing its like $2xx.00

Craig Seman #17308

R Schroeder

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
Jim E.
I was just reading about the American Collectors Car insurance. As with all of these companies , they don't like general use driving. This company has 3 different mileage categories, and one that is called ,Freedom Tier, which states it will let you drive a "limited" amount of regular driving.
I don't believe any of them will let you just drive all over the place . That wasn't the purpose of the insurance.
I think if you were two states away and had a accident, these companies would give you a hard time. This is if it were not a club function.
 I don't know which policy you have Jim, but you might want to check it, as far as general driving.

Agreed value is the important thing in the policy. Stated value can be a hassle.I want to check some of these other companies that were mentioned here. I think they are all pretty much the same.
Roy

http://www.americancollectors.com/Collector-Vehicles/Policy-Features/28/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:04:11 PM by Roy Schroeder »

R Schroeder

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Just checked State Farm. There policy use is very limited use. Club functions or the like. Pretty much the same.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/other/antique-and-classic.asp

Offline waterzap

• CLC Number: 26896
  • Name: Waldo Du Toit
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Waldo -

Who is your agent? I have State Farm in Charlotte for my regular cars and house (Happy Mullen).

What kind of agreed value policy is it? That is the kicker with most policies.

David Stroman. Apparently NC does not allow agreed value policies, only stated value. The agent was surprised when I mentioned Hagerty with their agreed values. Looking at that link, I definitely dont have that insurance. The agent called that something about "parade insurance" where you cannot drive much. I have a regular insurance card, and I can drive the car wherever I want and need not garage it. It is quite a bit more expensive than Hagerty, but not nearly as much as regular insurance. Also like I said, had to submit photos. I specificaly asked the agent can I drive it and visit places, then leave the car outside overnight, and she said it is fine. So I can drive it and leave it outside, but I have to take stated value for the same car in the same condition. I guess it is a toss up. In the end my cars aren't worth all THAT much and I would rather drive them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:49:16 PM by waterzap »
Charlotte, NC
-1978 Eldorado Coupe

R Schroeder

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »
This is from Hagerty's web site. Not sure what to believe anymore. One guy says he cant go to the ice cream place, and the site says ; "We know you want to use your car "

This is what they state;

Freedom to enjoy your car

We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows, you're covered. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.

Offline planetcadillac

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
I am from North Carolina as well, apparently very close to Waldo when I live in NC. I have Hagerty and they wrote me a policy for $xxxx and called it agreed said if the car is stolen and not recovered or in a wreck that costs too much to fix that is what I get. Point blank. No questions asked.

I guess we should hear from either someone from Hagerty themselves or a policy-holder who had a claim that was in a 'grey' area...
Craig Seman #17308

Offline Eldorado Tex

• Name: J Pel
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
You can't find a car show to go to along the way?

Offline bcroe

Collector Car Insurance + Road Trip = 0?
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 12:16:23 AM »
In these parts, a car with antique plates is pretty restricted.  Guess I'd
better keep the regular plates on my 77 when its 7 states from home. 

Bruce Roe

Offline Rob Troxel

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »
I would plan my trips to coincide with shows along the way.  I keep a listing of all the car shows happening this summer in my area or in neighboring states i(n the glove box right along side my registration and insurance card) and plan to attend a specific show(s) each way.  If you are stopped, even with the limited use plate issued here in Illinois, you are good to go.  In Illinois, you can drive with a vintage plate displayed and you just have to be able to produce the normal state antique plate if challenged.  I also keep a copy of that statute in the glove box. My rhyming Insurance company says I am covered.

Offline TJ Hopland

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
When I was insurance shopping the special plate thing seemed to be the 'out' for most of the insurance companies.   Many of the companies and polices required the special classic or collector plates and many of the states that have them have quite a list of restrictions which pretty much mean if its not a weekend, holiday, or sanctioned club event you cant get more than a few miles from home and still have your plates be valid.  No valid plates no coverage and they are off the hook.  They figure the states will do the enforcing.  Some states apparently dont have any special plate.   My state has the plates and I did find some companies that had a very cheap policy that required the plates but those are the ones where you pretty cant drive the car.   I have always had standard plates and now Im with haggarty and they didnt require the special plates so at least I dont have the issue of the cops hassling me.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Offline Jeff Wilk

• J. Wilk CLC # 25630
  • The Past + The Future = My Heaven on Earth
  • Name: Jeff Wilk
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
I also have haggert and that is how they work as well. They will insure you here in nj  ased on the types of plates you register the car under.  We have two plate options. QQ Plates that are specifically for collector/historic cars and the registration is only for limited use and mileage. Te se plates do not require a state inspection on the car either and only the owners attestation that the car mechanically sound

The other registration plates are standard plates and have no state restrictions on use. These plates require the full state inspection for mechanical AND emissions. Tough to pass these older cars on emissions.  Havgerty will insure your car here too but they do ask for your stated value and annual mileage estimation and an odometer certification from you. 

I have both types.  Historical on my '33s and '59, and standard on my '75 eldo conv so we can take that one out for a weekend drive down the shore if we want.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Offline gary griffin

• garygriffin@Q.com
  • CLC Number: 26430
  • Name: Gary Griffin
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
This is all interesting to me. In Washington state we can display a correct year plate such as the 1942 Washington plate I have for my car or a collector plate. We have no annual fees for either option. My understanding of Hagerty (I have 4 vehicles insured with them) is that I can use the car for club events, shows, driving to and from repair shops, and occasional pleasure dirving which is what our state requirements are for collector plates. I do agree that a list of car events is a good thing to keep in the glove box also. Drive and enjoy is my motto. It there is an accident I must be going somewhere important for sure.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

R Schroeder

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
In Wisconsin we have 3 plates to run under for the old cars.
COLLECTOR - which is what I run. This plate has only one restriction. You cant drive it in January.
Why would you anyway.
HOBBYIST - this is for the hot rods and the like. No restrictions.
ANTIQUE - this plate is for 1945  and older. Used ONLY for parades ,shows and the like. NO pleasure driving at all.

Off coarse you can also run the regular plate if you like.

Seems to me the best insurance I have read about so far is Hagerty. They seem to be the most liberal about pleasure driving.
I myself have been running for almost 3 years now on a stated value coverage. My policy has limited use on it, and it is only 85 bucks a year. This was through my regular insurance. I am thinking about changing to a different insurance , even though it will cost me more.
Might as well go with Hagerty, and have the same use clause, but have the car covered for the value.
Just my 2 cents worth.
 Roy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13