News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1992 Brougham D'elegance should I buy?

Started by Dreaming Big, June 10, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreaming Big

So, I've been away from Cadillac's for a while now and have missed them waaaay tooooo much! I swear it's an illness!!! :o

Anyway, want a car that's good and reliable to get back into it. Reliability is important to me or I'd be looking at 80's stuff.  ;D Have a chance to pick up a 92 Brougham D'elegance 5.7 w/33k miles for $10k. Pic's look pristine. Gonna check it out in person soon. From most that I've read they seem to be good cars. Any thoughts appreciated!  ;D

okccadman

They are absolutely great cars!  My daily driver is a 1990 5.7 Brougham d'Elegance.  The only thing I would be concerned with is the a/c compressor if the car has been sitting for a while.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

First of all, welcome David.

Second of all, yes it is an illness although it hasn't been classified yet for use as a courtroom defense.

Thirdly, if you can get a pristine 1992 Brougham d'Elegance, 5.7 litre w/33,000 mi for $10,000 or under- I'd make tracks forthwith. 1992 was the last & final incarnation of the true Cadillac of the old school and were only manufacturered through Dec 1991 making the 1992 model relatively rare. Yes the Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham continued in RWD form until 1996 but- well, they're not the same car.

But absolutely- make certain the car is indeed mint. That is NO paintwork, body work, paint blistering-particularly near body side trim which is common. In itself, low mileage is no guarantee of condition. The interior should look and smell new in all regards and all chrome plated plastic should look like chrome- not stained from improper cleaning.  All equipment should function correctly. The car is almost bound to have a few demerits here and there- which should be acceptable in that price range. Finally color is important. Collectors tend to prefer darker colors in these cars- black being the most desireable.

As far as use/functionality is concerned- speaking for myself- I cannot imagine a car more satisfying & enjoyable to own, ride and drive than a 1990-1992 Cadillac Brougham w/ 5.7. They have excellent power, super comfortable, durable, handle quite well for a big car, get decent mileage while still looking like a real Cadillac. Every customer to whom I sold one loved them- unanimously. I'm sure you will too.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eldorado Tex

For $10k you could get something reliable from 70s. If you look at the 80s avoid the 4100 and if you find a 1981 make sure to have it always run on 8 cylinders. However as a collector finding something newer that you can appreciate is good as it saves one more from being driven into the ground or becoming a lowrider or high riser.

Dreaming Big

Thank you for the warm welcome and replies!! Going to move forward with looking at the car. If it's as described.........it'll be a fun road trip home!! >:D

Tex,
I agree with your point on the 4100's. Sadly two of my favorite cars had that motor; 82-85 Sevilles and Eldo's. If you go 79-81 with those bodies ur stuck with different problems. Love those cars just too much hassle!!!

Dave