News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

53 Guide spotlight position

Started by Quentin Hall, June 12, 2012, 06:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

One of my next jobs is to install two Guide spotlights each, on my 53 series 62 conv and 53 Eldo. Luckily my Eldo already had correctly positioned spotlights but the 53 conv still has standard mirrors and I am hoping someone may have a copy of the spotlight template.  I have a few nos pairs of spotlights and there are two different style positioning brackets ( but no templates). One style bracket suits the 53 Eldo where the bracket is positioned about 5inches back from the leading edge of the door and the handle comes thru the door not perpendicular but close.
I have looked at quite a few 53 standard cars pics and some have a spotlight bracket basically over the original mirror position. I also can see a casting hole in the qtr vent baseframe . So it appears the handle comes thru the door on quite an extreme angle. I do have a pair of brackets that look more or less correct for this but I don't want to go drilling holes till I am sure.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jeff Maltby 4194

Not a Clue but read the Sia 1990 mag @ lunch.

Bob Hoffman would know.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

ccp49

I have an NOS driver's side mirror that I still need to install.  It has the template in the box.  if you think it might be the same, I can send a copy to you. 
You have a spare passenger side mirror?

Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Quentin Hall

G'day . Yes I'd be keen to see the template, can you take a pic and post it here?. . . and also a pic of your bracket. The spotlight is the same LH or RH it's just the bracket that varies.  Is your temp for 50 thru 53 Cad? Depends on your style of bracket for the driver's side if I have a spare pass style.  Eldo style is rare as hen's teeth tho a guy on ebay is reproing but I lost his details somewhere. Q 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

ccp49

Here's a scan of the installation instructions. I couldn't get the scanner to read through the dark spot on my copy which appears to also be a scan.  So, here's the obscured text:
7. After shaping inside friction bracket to hang on panel in suitable location (fig.2), center punch two bracket arm holes and drill with No. 29 (9/64) dia. drill.  (Do not tap.) Screw bracket arms firmly in place with short round head sheet metal screws.

8. Assemble friction nut and handle unit as shown (fig. 5) making sure switch is turned off.  Handle may be rotated so screw "A" will fit in notch on shaft.  Tighten firmly.

9. Drill 5/16 dia, hole thru hangon panel as shown.  Insert rubber grommet and thread wire as shown (fig. 2) to hot side of switch. 

10. Tighten nut on friction bracket (Fig. 3) to adjust tilting of lamp head to individual driving needs.  This is the only spotlamp adjustment necessary.

Given the differences in the sheet metal between 49 and 53, there must at least be some minor differences locating the holes. 
The proper part number for the 49  brackets are 5939251 for driver's side; and 5939252 for passenger side. 

Dan
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

ccp49

Here are a couple pics of the mount bracket.  You can also see the inside bracket. 
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Quentin Hall

G'day Dan,
             Very good. Well they are the same style brackets as used on my 53 Eldo, so we are half way there. Now  need to find someone with a 53 temp using the brackets with the more extreme angle .
     Is there also a temp for inside ?
     Thanks again . Q 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

ccp49

Not sure.  I am guessing you put holes through the door from the outside using the template, and so, in that process, there will be variance in where the inside hole comes to in the drilling process.
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa