News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1933 Fleetwood Custom - Factory Art Studio Sketch?

Started by Jeff Wilk, June 13, 2012, 10:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

I bought this last year and forgot to ask more about what it may be.  The description stated the following which I have no way of knowing if correct.  Car seems just like one of them sold at the RM Auction(?) down south earlier this year for very big bucks. 

"The signed original authentic piece of automotive artwork came from a collector's estate out of New Jersey. It is a pen & ink drawing of a Fleetwood 5559 Dual Cowl Phaeton. Most likely drawn up by one of the Fleetwood Company artists and submitted to the client for approval.  The signature is "H. Glavich". The size of the image is approx. 20 long by 12 1/4 in. wide. The artwork is in very good condition."

Can anybody confirm this description, does it match the art work.  What is the true value of this artwork in this market?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Terry Wenger

Jeff:

Your drawing is the '33 V16 "Style 5559 Sport Phaeton with concealed top" and looks to be a copy of the one in my '33 V16 reprinted catalog including the never used louvers on the front fenders, the style number and Fleetwood emblem. I don't know if it is the original catalog drawing or not. My catalog is black and white.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Jeff Wilk

Terry thanks so much.  This does appear to be an original studio drawing that was framed.  Does this car exist?  Any way to know who owns them/it?  I am looking to get this into the right hands and candidly at the same time help fund my 59 Fleetwood project to any degree possible

Jeff

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeff,
Can you clarify something for me? Was that the description that you saw when you purchased the drawing?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeff Wilk

Bob, yes, the bold italic description was part of the description from when i bought it.   It sounded good And i liked the art as well so i bought it.   When i got it i took it out of frame and it does look authentic.  Then i saw the car itself auctioned and thought this may be a rare drawing as well.  Then i forgot about it among all of the 59 work.   

Have you seen it before?

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeff,
Thanks for your response. The description does match the drawing. The car ,of which they made only one, is not known to exist. I have never seen any examples of the drawing you have. I have seen the pages of drawings of the various body styles including the 5559 that were published in 1933. What bothers me about your drawing  is the treatment of the tires & wheels. The tires, read that as whitewalls, are FAR too wide & out of proportion. That leads me to believe that it's not an original drawing. What say others?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Terry Wenger

All:

I will have to agree with Bob. This was not the original drawing. As he said, the whitewalls are way oversized. The catalog illustration has the grille shell and, headlights and parking lights painted body color rather than chrome and the pencil work in the front is not as sharp as that in the catalog.

Photos of the original car can be found on pages105 and 106 of "Sixteen Cylinder Motorcars" by Roy Schneider.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Jeff Wilk

So i took it out of the frame and off the backer.  Seems to be some sort of vellum that has a nice tracing and the coloration done.  Was probably done from the catalog and is not authentic.   Still a nicely framed illustration that will now not get as much tlc as i was giving it.  Still like it.   Just not going to fund any 59 parts though.  Thanks for the tips and eagle eye guys.

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

veesixteen

I don't believe this is a factory commissioned piece of art. Somewhere among my many illustrated documents on the V-16 Cadillacs I have a (poor) drawing of the same car, with the "fat" tires, similar to this one but done in monochrome: www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_v16/5559DRG.JPG.

Cadillacs own portrayals of the 1933 V-16 show a different curve to the bumper bars; the Fleetwood ID badge and style number font also differ. I think this is a later painting that may have been used as a calendar illustration, e.g.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"