News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 Coupe steering

Started by Hankk17, June 12, 2012, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

Hi all.  I finally got my '76 project car from hell back from the new and much better bodyshop and it looks awesome again, albiet with awful plastic repro bumper fillers in the back... but I digress.

my question is concerning the steering in this behemoth.  Now that I have two (a '76 EFI SDV) I can actually compare and contrast performance/handling/etc and I've come to discover that the steering in my Coupe is unbelievably sloppy compared to my SDV.  So I now am on the hunt for front end parts to rectify the situation.

I can find Ball joints, centerlink, and tie rod ends.. and even managed to find an idler arm at a local shop that had been sitting on the shelf since 1977.  The one thing I can't seem to locate is a pitman arm.  Does anyone have the part number for one?  Or better still - know where I can get one?

I'll be posting pictures soon.. it's going to rain here in the Boston area tomorrow so I've got her all nice and cozy in the garage.

Thanks!

-Hank

PS - anyone want to buy my '76 SDV?  I'm getting a little over my head in projects at the moment.
Wherever you go... There you are

TJ Hopland

If the pitman arms seems to be non existent it may be because it does not have a joint on it, the joint may be on the center link.

Are you sure its all shot?   Idler arm is the most common place for slop in this vintage car.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gene Beaird

Yeah, I'd verify that the joint at the centerlink to the pitman arm is actually ON the pitman arm.  It's probably on the centerlink.  After reviewing my 1979 Chevrolet FSM, I'm even more certain that joint is on the center link.  Additionally, online images of the centerlink for that car shows the idler arm and pitman arm end joint is _on_ the centerlink. 

You don't need a pitman arm, unless it's rusted off the car.  It's a single piece of iron.  Nothing to wear out.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Dave Shepherd

Play in the gear box was common on those cars,

Gene Beaird

Indeed.  But as much as it sux to put all that hardware under the car and _still_ have slop in the steering from the gearbox, I'd suggest doing just that before working on adjusting any lash in the gearbox.  It's easy to do it wrong and make things worse, especially if there's still some looseness in the rest of the linkage.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

The first thing I'd do is upgrade the rag joint.  If you can't get a good one, a steel
U joint type will at least verify operation (at the cost of sending road vibration to
the steering wheel). 

After that, replace all the rubber bushings.  A good front sway bar with poly links
will help.  And well inflated tires.  Are any struts missing around the engine? 

Sure it could be ball joints, etc, but those were the only good parts on my 79. 
I have had 2 upper ball joints fail, and they were both recent replacements. 
good luck,
Bruce Roe

Glen

When trouble shooting slack in the steering I have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth as far as it will go without moving the tires while I inspect the underside.  It is then easy to see where the slack is. 

Eliminates the guess work and replacing good parts.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Glen on June 15, 2012, 01:18:40 AM
When trouble shooting slack in the steering I have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth as far as it will go without moving the tires while I inspect the underside.  It is then easy to see where the slack is. 

Eliminates the guess work and replacing good parts.   Agreed, any play in the gear box should be addressed first.