News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to.......1986 Brougham headliner

Started by Kevin.Fontenot, June 20, 2012, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin.Fontenot

Does anybody know the steps in removing the headliner from a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham? My (EX) body man couldn't do it, and ended up removing the windshield in order to get it out. Needless to say he "FORD-ED" the whole thing up. Anybody got any ideas, links, experience?

Davidinhartford

I've had several sedans headliners replaced.  Never heard of the windshield coming out to do it.  I would imagine that once all the edge moldings are removed, you can rotate it out an open door.

76eldo

Joe Caristo and I recently did a 1979 Fleetwood.

You take down all of the moldings, remove the dome light, and maneuver the cardboard headliner out of the passenger side door.  It looks unlikely, but that's how we did it.

You don't have to fold it, bend it, or (eeek) cut it.

This guy made the job much more complicated than it needed to be.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

I did my 78 coupe DeVille and it came out the passenger door. I heard that the 4 door cars were a little harder to do.

EAM 17806

KEVIN!  The guy you had do this for you was on the job training. You should have let him finish his upholstering school before you let him near your headliner.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Kevin.Fontenot

Too Late! He totally screwed up the job. Cost me $100.00 worth of headliner material. (which I brought to him), $25.00 worth of trim glue, and he cut a wire on my auto-dimming rearview mirror. I am angry just writing this.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Kevin.Fontenot on June 22, 2012, 09:59:05 AM
Too Late! He totally screwed up the job. Cost me $100.00 worth of headliner material. (which I brought to him), $25.00 worth of trim glue, and he cut a wire on my auto-dimming rearview mirror. I am angry just writing this.

Sorry to hear that. Why the guy would've thought headliner replacement necessitated windshield removal is beyond me. Single piece headliner jobs are easy for any competent upholstery shop and usually run me around $125- for the entire job- materials & labor.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute