News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac rear end leaking

Started by carguyblack, June 20, 2012, 11:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

This is a new one to me. Parked my Sedan DeVille after driving it the other day and noticed a large oil spot developing under the rear end. Investigated today and determined it is the rear end. The nose with the universal joint is dry, but the entire rear end pig is all wet and it is dripping. Is there a gasket that might fail on these and/or how do I go about trying to seal this up again? I have not noticed a rear end noise before this but I don't have much driving history with the car yet. Advice on this would be appreciated greatly. Thanks!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

dadscad

On my 63 there are copper washers under each nut plus a gasket between the Pig and the axle housing. You may try re-torquing the attachment nuts to see if this will stop or at least slow the leak. Be sure the filler plug is tight. If the differential was over filled, it may have burped oil out of the vent when it was heated up from your drive.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

carguyblack

It was more than a little leak once it started. It's about a 3 foot puddle now. Interestingly, it has been hotter than the dickens here and I parked it on the slight uphill of my driveway going in backwards because I had just filled up with gas. I didn't want it to overflow by parking it downhill, but this is when I noticed the rear end flowing oil that had never happened before. I have ordered a pinion seal as it seems to be the only thing I can think of to make it do that. It is dripping just in back of the universal joint off the low end of the front portion of the differential. The whole pig is all greasy, too, but I think it may be from this same leak. Maybe it started when I drove it last and it blew back over the thing.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Chuck:

From your latest description, it does sound like the pinion gear seal.  I had
that same problem with my '55.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

carguyblack

Thanks for the reassurance. Sometimes throwing parts at the car works!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE