News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac fuel tank, help!

Started by DTBass, June 22, 2012, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTBass

Well I purchased a new fuel tank for my 57 coupe last fall at Carlisle.  I installed it over the winter  but I'm having trouble with the brass fitting (adapter) that screws into the tank and then to the inverted flare on the fuel line.  The brass fitting was supplied by the same company that I purchased the tank from it was Auto City Classics.  They were very nice on the phone and sent me another fitting but it is the same as the first.   The fuel line side of the fitting is good it is the other side thats the problem.  It seems to small, it is about three quarters of an inch long and when inserted into the tank it goes about half way in before it catches any threads and even then it's loose and wobbly.  Anyone have any experience with this?   I'm embarrassed to say I scraped the old tank with the fitting on it really dumb I know
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Mustang

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have reproduction 49-58 brass fittings $30 shipped. The bushing drops into the tank inlet then the main fuel line screws down onto it=done deal.

Post me a picture so we can figure out your problem here.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

DTBass

I'm attempting to send a pic or two.
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1966 Mustang

DTBass

One more of the tank and disconnected fuel line.
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1966 Mustang

Jeff Maltby 4194

If your main fuel line screws into the tank fitting properly, then my bushing will solve your problem.

Pre 49 tanks didn't have this bushing and I always wondered why they changed it ? I just sent AC Classics a copy of this post and see what they think about this matter.

Pm me your adde and I'll send one to you. If it works, post me the $ and if not, send it back.

first picture is a bushing as it sits in 49-58 tank and 48 tank with reverse flare, like a brake caliper fitting, requiring no bushing.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

mjsicoli

Jeff, how can I purchase the fitting you describe for the 57 fuel tank??

Thank you,

Mike

snoridr182

DT Bass

What and where do I get that brass fitting you have in the photo? It looks like what I need for my tank.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Matt Ferrall

Hello, I'm stuck in the same boat. Does anyone have access to these fittings? I have a 58 Fleetwood series 75.

David King (kz78hy)

I made some, now if I can find them...

I installed a new tank on a 1955 Eldorado and used the fitting provided with the tank and it did not need the spacer bushing.  If you are using  the original line and tank, you will need the spacer.

$35 including shipping if PayPal friends and family or check.  Don't use the pay options on the site as those are out of date and have fees.  PM me for details if you want one.

http://www.keepemrunningautomotive.com/fuel-system-fittings.html

David King
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Matt Ferrall

You are a life saver! My new tank is the same as the original. All the fittings I've tried are too short and won't seat. Your spacer should make up for the gap. I've been dealing with this for weeks and no one has a fitting that fits. I'm going to order one now.