News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1964 cadilac transmission

Started by fred peyerl, June 26, 2012, 02:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred peyerl

i have a 1964 cadillac it has a  2 speed tranny in it.  it reads prndl  i think it is getting weak.  should i rebuild the original 2speed or put in a 200r4 or 700r4  an if so how an where can i get it done.
thankyou for any help  fred p

quadfins

I suspect that you have a 4 speed Hydra-Matic in it. The shifts from 1 - 2 and 3 - 4 are so smooth as to be almost imperceptible. On a quiet day, drive slowly and listen for a change in engine speed to determine if all shifts are occurring.

On the other hand, it may, in fact, need service. What are the symptoms that lead you to think that it needs work?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Walter Youshock

PRNDL seems to indicate the first Turbo Hydramatic.  Is this a deVille or a Fleetwood series?  The old Hydarmatic "Jetaway" still came in the 62 series--PNDLR quadrant markings.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Walter is correct. In 1964 the old Hydramatic was fitted on Series 62 & Series 75 cars with Reverse all the way to the right. The new Turbo Hydramatic was installed on DeVille, Fleetwood 60 Special & Eldorado- with PRNDL ordered quadrants.

Your trans is 3-speed; the old Hydramatic is 4.

I wouldn't change the trans to something else. The THM-400 was an excellent unit and once rebuilt, you should be good for life. In choosing a trans shop, it would be a good idea to make sure they are familiar with trannys of this vintage.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

quadfins

Above posts are correct - I missed the clue on the shift positions.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Walter Youshock

I couldn't imagine working at a dealership that year or being the poor guy who had to back the cars off the railroad cars or trailers.  How many times did somebody not realize what series car they were moving and put it in the wrong gear?!?!?! 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dave Shepherd

LOL, they had tags on the shift lever letting you know what's what.

Doug Houston

If you're going to have a transmission rebuilt, be aware that most of the "rebuild shops" don't rebuild transmissions much, if at all. For one, Hydra-Matic division has a rebuild deal with Focus Hope, wherein they rebuild transmissions for H-M.

I have a '96 Buick Roadmaster where the transmission became slippery and needed rebuilding. I talked to a shop that does work for me, and oh, yes, they'd rebuild it for me. Oh, sure!!!  I told them that I wanted THIS transmission rebuilt. Oh, yes, they'd rebuild it.

As soom as I'd be out of the place, they'd be on the horn to Hydra-Matic, ordering a rebuilt exchange. After all, how'd I ever know the difference???  Actually, i never had any intention of having a transmission done by a shop........for just that reason.

The transmission is a 4L60E trans. I have a guy who works for Hydra-Matic at the GM proving grounds. He has a jeweler mentality, and knows how I like my transmissions to shift. He told me that the transmission in the car was already a Focus Hope job, and that only the bad parts had been replaced in the first place. I'm the second owner of the car. He essentially re-gutted MY transmission. 

So, I suppose that the moral o this story is, that you can't trust anybody (if you don't already know it), and if you want the job done properly, and well,  and if you don't know transmissions, know your transmission shop!!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929