News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Nixon's gift - 1972 Eldorado

Started by Davidinhartford, June 22, 2012, 07:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

Chris Conklin

To Breshnev? Such capitalist decadence! ;D
Chris Conklin

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The text says that the car had a "padded" top, sort of looks just like my avitar.  That car is parked in my garage.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Doug Houston

Nixon also gave us the EPA and a few other simi;ar goodies.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Doug,
What on earth has that got to deo with the car being featured?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

planetcadillac

I assume it was a backhanded political statement within the context of this discussion. Best to keep a tight lip and move on.

As for the car itself, I know that when Presidents travel, their vehicular entourage is shipped to the receipient country. Someone else can probably elaborate on when this practice started, Nixon may have been the first since obviously the vehicles would have to be flown.

It does seem out of character for a US President to give such a gift of conspicuous consumption to a Communist leader, although Nixon did pursue (and this is my only political statement within the context of this discussion) a policy of detente with USSR, China, etc and it may have been considered a "goodwill" gesture.
Craig Seman #17308

Richard Sills - CLC #936

I recall reading that Nixon and Brezhnev were driving this car around in the area of Camp David, MD, shortly after the car was presented to Mr. Brezhnev.   That must have been quite a sight.

Brezhnev was an avid car enthusiast.  The year after the Cadillac gift, President Nixon gave him a new Lincoln Continental. I have heard that the Lincoln is in an auto museum in Riga, Latvia, but I don't know where the Cadillac wound up.

Davidinhartford

Rich,

The 72 Eldorado was shipped to Moscow for presentation on Nixons first visit there.     It was on Brezhnevs first visit to the US that he recieved the 73 Lincoln at Camp David.

Here is a link to rare film footage of Brezhnev driving the new Lincoln.    Plus there is a scene with Nixon and Brezhnev leaving Camp David in an armoured Cadillac Fleetwood series 75 Limousine.    Followed by a 73 Chrysler Newyorker and a Mercury Colony Park wagon.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675057033_visit-of-Leonid-Brezhnev_President-Richard-Nixon_Aspen-House_Lincoln-Continental