News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Coupe de Ville with ninety five original miles!

Started by Scaleaddict, June 26, 2012, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scaleaddict

Sorry, it's not for sale either. This car was purchased new by the late father of one of my co-workers, and driven exactly once. If you've ever wondered what one of these cars looked like as delivered, this is pretty much it. It still smells like a new car inside, since for all intents and purposes it is. A little bit of dust under the hood, nothing a day or two of detailing wouldn't cure to make everything shine again. A couple of minor paint ships from being bumped in to during such long storage, and I guess the spring on the cover for the trunk key flew off a couple of years ago, though that's sounds like a pretty easy fix. See the pic of the eight track tape in the deck? That's the first time the stereo was ever used.  ;D
If you'd like to see all the photos I took of this rare beauty, here is a link to my Photobucket album.
http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae317/smellyfatdude/1976%20Cadillac%20Coupe%20de%20Ville/
Happy motoring!
                                                                                                              D.Graves

bcroe

Very nice car.  I have purchased some new smelling, low mileage cars
myself (not THAT low).  To be a safe driver, it needs all the operational
rubber & plastic replaced.  That means the tires, brake hoses & cylinders,
transmission seals, timing chain, vacuum hoses, and fuel hoses.  Injector
seals if fuel injected, or you are wide open for a fire.  All that is done on
mine; the 77 drives 20,000 miles a year.  good luck, Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Neat.   Not an expert but the plug wires dont look original to me.  I thought all the OE wires had the extra nubs on them that snapped into a retainer that snapped onto the distributor cap.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

Time capsule cars look pretty.  But are money pits to get road ready.  Cars like to be driven.   As I have found out, even if you replace the obvious, just about everything else fails due to age or lack of use.

Cars like this are best moved on a trailer.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Would've broken my heart to back it out into that mud.  :o
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scaleaddict

Quote from: ericdev on June 28, 2012, 09:34:22 AM
Would've broken my heart to back it out into that mud.  :o

Believe me, I cringed at the thought of that as well. But Wayne, the gentleman I work with, insisted on pulling it out of the garage so we could photograph it in better light. Even though we'd had two days of heavy rain just prior to that, he said he didn't mind, since it was only the tires that were going to get a little dirty. A couple pumps of the pedal, and that 500 V8 roared to life with a sound you just don't hear anymore.
Regardless of what might need to be replaced on this car to make it driveable, it's kind of irrelevant to the owner, as he has no intention whatsoever of  driving it . He has been offered a substantial amount of money for it in the past, but has decided for the time being anyway, that he's going to hang on to his family heirloom. He did say he'd like to see the car in a museum, and I tend to agree with that sentiment. More people should be able to look at this beauty close up, without the wear and tear that would no doubt ensue from trailering it to shows.
Incidentally, my interest in this car stems from constantly looking for new and different subjects to create 1/25 scale models. Almost around the same time I learned of this Caddy's existence last year, a U.S. company called Modelhaus released a resin casting of the ' 76 Coupe de Ville.
Building models requires good sources of reference for accuracy, and some clear photos of an actual car that's as close to factory original as possible.
I can't imagine a better source of reference than a vehicle that's been preserved in this condition.
                                                                                                      D.Graves

Gene Beaird

Scale,  thanks for putting this one up!

I saw this listed on a scale model site, and knew others here would be interested in seeing it.  Hopefully, it will make it out a bit to cruise-ins and shows. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Guidematic

Cars like this need to stay the way they are. They are an invaluable referance for those restoring other like models. Keep them in a museum? I would have to agree here. As much as I feel cars should be driven, super low mile originals like this are that exception.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69