News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldo remote rh door mirror not working

Started by xcaret, June 26, 2012, 09:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcaret

My 78 Eldo door mirror does not respond very much when I try to adjust it from inside the car. Since I can't find a replacement I'm thinking of spraying that foamy insulating stuff that sets up like hard Styrofoam into the back of it once it is set where I want it . Has anyone any better ideas ?
I'm the only driver , so once in place it won't have to move.
Neil

waterzap

It works with thin cables. Maybe one of the cables are broken? If it is broken or loose, my guess it is either at the switch or at the mirror. See if you can get the mirror off and check the cables.
Leesburg, AL

xcaret

I had the car at a place that repaired taxis ,the old mechanic was very familiar with the problem ( up here lots of taxis were Cadillacs) and said it was common and forget fixing it . I should try to find another one , but noted it probably wouldn't be much better due to the age.

cadillactim

If one of the three cables is broken, then you have to replace it. But it could be the diirt and corrosion where the cables meet the mirror, or the cables are just stretched. Push on the mirror and see if the mirror is "flopping" in any direction in the housing. If so, a cable is broke. If mirror still feels fairly tight, then try these two tricks that have worked for me over the years.

First, remove the nut that holds the adjuster in the dash and pull the cable loose from the dash. Next, push the mirror all the way up and you will see a philips head screw under the glass that holds it to the housing. Remove that screw and gently pull the glass and cables out enough to spray some WD-40 on the cables and pivot points to lubricate and clean out grease, grime, rust, etc. Reattach glass and check operation.

If mirror is still slow to respond, then "wind" the cable housing by twisting it 2-3 turns and reinstall nut. This will tighten the cables. See if you mirror works okay then.

Sometimes this won't work, but it has worked several times for me in the past.

Tim
Tim Groves

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the tip about twisting the cables.

Interesting idea about the foam.  I like the concept of locking it down but dont think foam would be the way to do it.  It may work but would be really messy and also its sort of un predictable which way its going to expand so I suspect you may have problems getting it to stay where you wanted it.   I would think a better idea would be to use a silicone caulk in a few spots around the gap between the frame and mirror.  It should hold it in place fine.  Its easy to clean up if it gets where you dont want it.  You could remove it without too much difficulty if you needed to change it.

You would think over the years that the aftermarket would have made a manual replacement mirror for these cars.  Many years ago I had one break and went to a junkyard.  There was a hearse that had manual mirrors.  I thought great I wont have to go through the trouble of fishing the cable through.   Apparently I was lucky cause that was a very rare item.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ted in Olympia WA

I have a replacement mirror if interested.  Send me an email at tmdunlap@comcast.net

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.