News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

51 Series 62 Gas guage ground

Started by wrench, July 01, 2012, 02:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

I am curious about the return path for the gas guage level sending unit. I have removed the old tank and will be installing a replacement tank while hopefully re-using the original sender (if it bench checks good...) I intend to lay in some paint in the fuel tank recess area and the tank itself prior to re-assembly. I do not want the paint to affect the ground.

My question is what provides the ground return path for the sender? The straps and tank have tar paper strips (to dampen vibration?) that would interfere with the return path. The only thing I can think of is the fuel line/clamps, but I do not know if they are isolated for vibration as well.

Thanks.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Dave Shepherd

General practice in my shop is to attach a ground from the lip of the tank to the chassis, especially with 6v cars.

wrench

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on July 01, 2012, 02:27:52 PM
General practice in my shop is to attach a ground from the lip of the tank to the chassis, especially with 6v cars.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Dave. I am still running 6v. your gp sounds like a plan. But still curious what the original design called for...

Jim
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Caddy Wizard

I believe the T-bolts tended to scrape a little against the edge of the flange of the tank and provided a ground path there.  I don't think the tanks were painted -- I think they were lightly zinc  plated, so the edge of the tank could provide a proper ground.  Even if they were painted, the T-bolt would have scraped off a smidge of paint right on that flange edge and grounded there.

Art
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

R Sotardi #11719

Just did that two years ago with a new tank on my 50. As Art said the tank hooks provide the clear ground, but mine were coated, by me, to prevent rust... to my dismay. As Dave said fasten a wire on the tank to a good chassis location. What I did was to crimp a  circle terminal on each end of a 1 foot piece of #14 wire. Drilled a small hole in the sheet metal area of the rear compartment. Removed one sender screw( the one at 2 o'clock), pushed it through the terminal and replaced it back with a dab of tank sealant on the threads. Then I fastened the other end with a self tapping sheet metal screw into the predrilled hole in the trunk area hole. Works great for a coupe of years  now. Ron

wrench

Quote from: R Sotardi #11719 on July 01, 2012, 04:52:19 PM
Just did that two years ago with a new tank on my 50. As Art said the tank hooks provide the clear ground, but mine were coated, by me, to prevent rust... to my dismay. As Dave said fasten a wire on the tank to a good chassis location. What I did was to crimp a  circle terminal on each end of a 1 foot piece of #14 wire. Drilled a small hole in the sheet metal area of the rear compartment. Removed one sender screw( the one at 2 o'clock), pushed it through the terminal and replaced it back with a dab of tank sealant on the threads. Then I fastened the other end with a self tapping sheet metal screw into the predrilled hole in the trunk area hole. Works great for a coupe of years  now. Ron

Thank you, gentlemen. I agree about adding the jumper and using one of the sender screws to do so. I will also verify the contact of the hooks to see if that path still has integrity.

Jim
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX