News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 2012 Grand National story (long)

Started by quadfins, July 07, 2012, 06:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadfins

My daughter, Vivian, and I had been looking forward to attending the 2012 Grand National in Savannah from the day we drove home from the 2011 GN in Ohio, last summer. We always drive our 1961 Coupe de Ville, and this year, the drive from our home in Virginia to the GN in St. Augustine would take about a day and a half.
   We barreled down Interstate 95, with the cruise control set at about 70 mph. We enjoyed mostly good driving conditions, and Vivian began keeping a tally of the number of honks, waves, and impromptu chats that we encountered along the way (we ended with just over 80). Our mid-morning Wednesday arrival allowed us to check into the host hotel, get settled, enjoy a swim, and attend the 3 technical seminars offered that afternoon. Throughout the day we watched as more cars arrived, and we began to meet old friends and make new ones in the parking lot and hotel lobby. After the Welcome Reception, we roamed the parking lot some more.
   Thursday morning we explored the town, shopped for groceries, swam, and enjoyed the day. The afternoon was spent cleaning and polishing the car, but this was really only an excuse to be in the parking lot, inspecting the other cars, and chatting with others as they strolled through.   Thursday evening I attended the excellent presentation on Route 66, which brought back good memories and sparked my desire to explore that road again.
   Friday was another day spent between the parking lot and the pool, shopping at the swap meet and CLC sales corner, inspecting beautiful cars and chatting with more new-found friends. Doug Bailey and the North Georgia crew - I feel like we had been friends for years. I'll be happy to pull up a chair and sit with you any time. Jay Friedman - your '49 is an inspiraation, and Don Miholovich - your '62 coupe is a beauty, and the fact that you drove it from Seattle is an inspiration for the rest of us. I will say that the highlight of the day was my evening chat with Chuck Patton. Chuck, thanks for sharing your insight - I enjoyed our time together very much, and someday I’ll find that ‘39 LaSalle...
   Early Saturday, and it was time to get the car cleaned and dried off. Sunrise over a parking lot of Cadillacs is a sight to behold, and more cars arrived with every moment. Then to the judges breakfast, followed by a quick wipe-down due to the unexpected rainshower, but I had a delightful time judging for the first time.  My thanks go to Bill Hedge for convincing me to volunteer to judge, and to Al Cowling and Peter Gariepy who were my mentors. I definitely will do so again in the future! Judging duties concluded with plenty of time to roam the show field., and I was appreciative of the breeze and mild weather that we enjoyed.
   The show concluded about 4 pm, and I discovered that playing Frank Sinatra all day had worn down my battery, and the car would not start. However, within minutes several volunteers appeared with battery packs and jumper cables. My thanks go to Michael Stamps and Thomas Dodd, for their help in getting that battery charged and my engine started. The battery was really low, so I let the engine run for some time to charge it up. Little did I know that my real ordeal was about to begin - there was more than Sinatra lurking within my electrical system.
    At about 4:30, my daughter and I drove the car to the grocery store, about 5 miles away. When I started the car to return to the hotel, I noticed that the GEN warning light was illuminated - I did not remember it being so on the drive to the store. I decided to check into it upon our return to the hotel parking lot.
   After parking, I opened the hood , and discovered that all of the wires connecting the generator to the regulator and positive side of the battery were burned - the insulation melted and the wires completely exposed. The regulator appeared to be charred, and that familiar and unwelcome odor of burned electrical components hung over the engine bay. My heart sank, and a wave of apprehension swept over me as I realized that I had a serious problem, and was almost 700 miles from home.
   And then, the good things began to happen.
   Within minutes, a number of good Samaritans began to cluster around the car, offering help and advice. As nectar attracts bees, a car in distress attracts “Car Guys”. In the frenzy and stress that was to follow, I did not get the names of all of those who came to help me out - If I have omitted or misspelled any names, please forgive me. First, I will always be indebted to Gary Costa, who went to his car, and brought extra wire, electrical tape, and tools. We began to manufacture a make-shift wiring harness, splicing replacement sections and making temporary connections - good enough, I hoped, for the drive back to Virginia. An hour or so went by, and Gary was willing to sacrifice his chance to enjoy the pre-banquet Happy Hour, in order to help diagnose and repair the system. Finally, just as the Awards Banquet was beginning, and it was starting to get dark, we completed the wiring system.  With great hope and trepidation, we attempted to start the car and see if our handiwork was successful.
   It was. The engine started, with no sparks, smoke, or flames, and seemed to run normally.
   By this time, however, we had also begun to suspect that the voltage regulator was burned out and non-functional. It being Saturday evening, we concluded our work, and I determined to visit one of the local auto parts stores as soon as they opened the next day - If, in fact, they would be open on a Sunday. A quick web-search on the hotels’s computer showed that NAPA and Advance would open at 9 the next morning. I hoped that a replacement regulator might be waiting on a shelf, or within a few hours away. In the worst case, we might have been able to bypass the regulator and rig a temporary system. So with a growing sense of optimism, I rested fitfully, awaiting the next sunrise.
   The next morning, bright and early, I was outside starting work again, and investigating ways to get to the parts stores. The hotel indicated that they could arrange for a taxi, but that turned out to be unnecessary, as Al Cowling graciously offered to take me anywhere I needed to go. I was more than happy to accept. (some would contend that my real motive was to simply arrange a ride in Al’s beautiful Aqua ‘64 Eldorado - I will not deny the accusations...) Al was kind enough to take me to several locations, where we arranged for a new regulator to arrive Monday afternoon. It was the best we could do, but it was progress. Al, thanks so much for your kindness and moral support!
   So, back to the car, to stare, contemplate, and tinker, and await the parts.
   In the meantime, word had gone out through the grapevine that a car was in need. In the hotel lobby, I was approach by another helpful CLC member, who told me that he knew of someone who had an extra regulator on hand, and would get the word out. Within a few minutes, Gordon Koncelik approached the work zone, holding a box with the exact regulator that I needed! Coincidence, or miracle? Or just plain good planning to have an extra on hand (a rule of thumb that I plan to adopt for all future road trips!).
   Elsewhere in the parking lot, Frank Butler was working to get his ‘64 Eldorado back onto the trailer. When he heard about my electrical problems, and need for a multi-meter, his Electrical Engineering interest kicked it, and he immediately left his project and came over to help diagnose my problem. It was quickly determined that the regulator and wiring were installed correctly, but that the generator was not putting out any power - it. too, must have burned out. So now, the options were again narrowed - try to locate a shop in town that could rebuild the generator, or buy a couple of extra batteries, and try to make the trip on battery power alone. Neither of these was a very pleasant prospect.
   But then, the outlook brightened again, in the form of Michael Belanger. He had found, at the indoor Flea Market, an extra generator for his ‘60 coupe. Originally planning to use it as a spare during his return drive to Canada, he instead offered it to me for immediate use.
   By now, almost every other car was gone, and the parking lot was eerily quiet. Frank Butler again stopped by and told me that they needed to be on their way, but he generously offered to let me keep his multi-meter set until we were done, and send it back to him after I safely returned home. I gratefully accepted this very kind offer. Gary and Michael also checked in, to see if I needed anything before they began their homeward journeys. Also, about this time, Thomas Dodd returned to the hotel parking lot. He and I reformed our partnership from the evening before, and quickly installed the replacement generator. With the engine started, the multi-meter indicated a good charge from the generator, and no burning wires - all seemed good to go. We concluded the work session just after noon, and Thomas left for his full days drive back to his home in northern Georgia.
   So now it was Sunday afternoon, and the moment of truth was approaching. On the morrow, we would check out and try our luck on the journey home. We would either make it or break it, somewhere along the Interstate 95 corridor. Now wanting to test fate, my daughter and I cancelled our planned Sunday expedition to Marineland, instead hunkering down in the hotel awaiting the coming day.
   Monday morning, the trunk was stuffed full, and the journey home commenced. Out of the hotel, onto the interstate, northbound, cruise control on, all systems were go. Perhaps it was just optimism, but it seemed that the car actually ran better than it had on the trip to Florida. I kept a very careful eye and ear open to any signs or indications that anything was amiss. At every fuel stop or rest area break, I checked the wiring, and everything held up fine. We even had enough confidence to make a stop at the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah. All day Monday, and all the way home Tuesday, the car ran perfectly, and brought us home safely and on schedule. I will admit, that seeing our street was a huge relief, and when I pulled BATILAC into the garage and shut her down, I had much to be thankful for.
   As yet, not much work has been done, because 2 days after our return home, we departed for California, where I am writing this as we visit my family. However, parts have been ordered, and a plan is in place. As soon as I return home, I will be making the permanent repairs to enable us to drive to next years’ GN in Boston.
   During the drive home, I had many hours to think and ruminate, and I came to a very clear conclusion: Often, within the CLC, and especially at Grand Nationals, the focus is on the cars. Then we have the judging and awards. But my experience has shown me that the real treasures in the CLC are the members themselves, who are willing to instantly put their plans aside, and assist a fellow member in time of need. I can’t express enough my appreciation for the hours that were spent helping me, the trust in letting me borrow tools and parts, and the knowledge and expertise in putting things back to work. All of it without any hesitation, and simply out of kindness, concern, and a desire to help. It is the members who are the real trophies in this club.
   So my Grand National 2012 experience covered a range of emotions and experiences. But the lasting memories are overwhelmingly positive - great cars, great times, great people.
   Thanks, CLC.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

76eldo

Jim,

That's a very nice write-up.

I can't tell you how many people I encounter with old cars and Cadillacs in particular that have no interest in joining the club.  I think they are foolish.  I mention the excellent publication, and being part of a huge network of Cadillac enthusiasts that can really help them out with information, parts, fun events, etc.  Their eyes glaze over like i am trying to get them to join a cult or something.

You experience is typical of how car people will go out of their way to help their fellow enthusiasts, make sure they get home when having mechanical problems, and lend of give you parts when needed in a situation like yours.

It's possible that your car was running better on the way home, but even if it only felt that way, it's nice to read that you had a great time and that so many people were ready and willing to assist you.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

What a wonderful story, and the conclusion is one of the reasons why we have Car Clubs, and the wonderful Members that make up the organisation.

I do hope your story makes it into the Self Starter.

Enjoy your Vacation, you, and Vivian, really needed this vacation to wind down following the trials of Floridia.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

STDog

Quote from: quadfins on July 07, 2012, 06:13:34 PM
Thomas left for his full days drive back to his home in norther Georgia.

Psst, north Alabama.  ;)
Georgia is a fine state, but I've never had to live there.

Anyone with an old vehicle has been stuck at some point. We all know how it goes, so we help others when we can.

okccadman

I too have a story. 

After experiencing a blowout on our trailer just outside of Alexandria, LA on the way to Florida, We unloaded the 67 Fleetwood and noticed that the remaining 3 tires were starting to show signs of cracking.  Rick Payton had a trailer nightmare last year taking his 58 Brougham to Ohio, so along with a new trailer, he 2 extra wheels and tires mounted as well as 2 more tires as spares.  He graciously gave me his 2 unmounted spares and Sunday Morning, I had them mounted and bought 2 more new tires and off I went.  Thanks Rick!

Well, the tires were fine but 30 miles from nowhere, FL, I noticed the right front trailer tire and wheel looked like they were sticking out a bit.  As I looked again, a stream of black smoke started pouring off the trailer as one of the brand new tires was scraping the trailer fender.  The wheel bearing had gone and taken the spindle with it.

Thanks to a great roadside repair crew and Haggerty Plus Roadside Assistance, I was on the road a few hours later and made it home without further incident.

This club really is a great group of friends who just happen to love old Cadillacs.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

gary griffin

The world if full of friends we have yet to meet.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

Great stories.

I would suggest that anyone with a external voltage regulator consider installing the old type fuse on the battery terminal on the voltage regulator. So if something like this happens the fuse shorts removing power to the system and possibly reducing the parts destroyed (especially the generator).

Just my opinion

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Jason Edge

Hi Jim, That was a great story and for me your last two sentences nailed it for me with this being my first grand national. It was good to see you around and have some brief chats at the GN and hope to see you in Boston. I've only attended the one now but consider myself a GN Junkie and don't plan to miss any more if I can help it.  Jason
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic