News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is the the correct Heater Control Valve for my 67 Eldorado?

Started by Antoni Deighton, July 09, 2012, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

I recently ordered a replacement heater control valve for my 1967 Eldorado. The part I was sent looks like the one in the photo. However, the one on the car looks different and is attached to the fender with a clip around the middle. Before I send it back I just want to confirm that the correct part is like the one that is on the car...or am I wrong?
If this is the correct part I'll go ahead and install it, although it would be good to see a picture as to how it fits on the car,
Thanks,
Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Dave Shepherd

Looks loie the right type. although designed different than the oe, has the vacuum ports.

cadillactim

Antoni

On that replacement valve the clip goes on top where the large groove is.

This particular style replacement is the better design. Early valves had the ports at the opposite end of the main diaphragm. Problem was, when the seals would go bad and antifreeze would get into the vacuum system, causing corrosion to the Climate Control parts.

The newer design (pictured) works strictly off of metal temperature. No coolant touches the sensor as in the earlier design.

However, that being said, some of today's replacement heater valves are not very good quality. I won't sell them because they don't hold up.  Spend the extra and get your hands on a genuine AC-Delco valve (later AC valves had the newer design with the two extra vacuum ports on the side). If you can't get a AC valve, get an older reproduction valve that was made in the USA.

Lastly, some Oldsmobile and Buick heater valves look similar to the Cadillac valve. Although the sensor with the two vacuum ports look similar, the main diaphragm on the valve works different. The Cadillac valve is normally OPEN (vacuum is required to close the valve). The Olds valve is normally closed, takes vacuum to open it.

All 1964-68 Cadillacs with Climate Control use the same heater valve, as well as 1969-70 Eldorados. This heater valve was also used on the rear A/C units from 1966-76.

Tim
Tim Groves

Antoni Deighton

Tim,

Thank you as always!

I'll have to check where the unit I bought was made. But you're right about the older style: when I removed the purple hose from the lower vacuum port, coolant dripped out of it. I'm wondering if that's what got sucked into the master switch? (I'll need to check the vacuum diagram to even see if that's possible.)

Anyway, the rebuilt master switch you sent me is on the car, and I'll be installing the hot water valve shortly. (The unit I bought is from USA Auto Parts, if anyone knows where they source their parts, otherwise I'll try to hunt down an AC-Delco valve.) I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to figure out how to alter the vacuum routing in order to run the Buick/Olds style valves!

Cheers,

Antoni

Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)