News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WINDOW GLASS CLEANER -problems

Started by R Schroeder, July 15, 2012, 11:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

I thought I was doing something wrong when I cleaned my windshield. I use Windex and paper towels, but it looks streaked after doing it. Like a white haze on the window.  Cant get it to stop doing that.
I thought I was alone, but my son called the other day and he was having the same problem.
He has a newer car. I thought there was something on my windows that was creating the problem, but it seems to be his problem too. Doesnt do it on my newer Honda's.
Anyone else having this problem ?
The only way they come out clear is when I go through the car wash. The power blower cleans off all the water , and there clear.
Roy

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
I've been using windex or another glass similar cleaner and paper towels for over 25 years and haven't had problems, maybe try a different brand on paper towel.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Jeff Wilk

Have you by chancw applied a "Rain-X" type product recently?  This can cause a haze when cleaning unless wiped real well.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

R Schroeder

I have tried different paper towels, as well as an old clean wash cloth.
I have never put rainex on the windows. Dont know if anyone else has before me. That was one of my thoughts.
I have had the car 3 years, and it has gotten a lot of wash jobs now.
I dont have the problem using the same items on my new cars.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've always experienced the same issues with the Windex/paper towel combo as you describe.

Best is to use small terry cloth towel with foaming glass cleaner - not Windex and rub until dry- don't just let the cleaner dry on the glass. Best when glass is cool.

If glass is hot- soak terry cloth w/water then wring out. While applying pressure, wipe very s-l-o-w-l-y, a section at a time.

No smears with either method.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Thor

Windex has changed over the years - it's not as good now.

For nice windows:

1.  Windex with paper towels to remove bugs and dirt.  Gets the gross stuff off.

2.  Use formula #3 with non-linting towels (polypropylene or equivalent) to remove the windex residue and clean to a tee.

Formula #3 is what i had after testing #1 and #2...... it's about 60% isopropyl alcohol, a few drops of Dawn, and the rest distilled water in a quart sized spray bottle.  Works great, evaps fast, and smells neat to boot.  Very therapeutic as a ritual to clean glass this way, and it will increase your driving enjoyment as you style past the posers in their Mega-cars.

Happy trails,

-Thor-
Randy Bergum
1960 Cad Hearse

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I clean my windows with Windex, I use old Newspapers to rub it with.

Never used anything else, and never had a problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

If you have access to a Costco then buy a can of Sprayway Glass Cleaner. For years I used Windex with mixed results and then one of my car friends said use Sprayway. Great product ,spray on and wipe off, no ammonia and streak free. Great product.     Bill

Richardonly

Roy,

I too had the streak/haze problem no matter how often I cleaned the glass.

Went to a local car show with "clean" windows and a fellow was sellinf a product called S3 Fusion.  It is an auto detailer and then he did a panel of my "clean" (somewhat hazy) glass.  It (the glass) disappeared!

It is NOT cheap, but a little goes a long way.  So far, so good.  I spray/detail the car and glass on occasion and expect the smaller size to last 2-3 years or more.

This is a link to the product site or try to catch a seller at a show to see it.  I was shocked.  The seller at a show is cheaper and eliminates the shipping.

http://s3fusion.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3&zenid=evmq49o60cl0vmp1rbavs6vhj7

Good luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Rich S

I've found a product called "Invisible Glass" by Stoner in an aerosol can (also available as a pump spray) works best to eliminate streaks. (I've obtained it at Advance Auto Parts and Walmart.) After applying it with paper towels I like to rub over the clean glass with a scrunched up sheet of regular newspaper to eliminate any lint or remaining streaks.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

R Schroeder

Well, thanks for all the tips. I didn't think there was that many products to solve the problem.
I'll have to check them out.
If you all have anymore ideas , please let me know.
Thanks Roy

Walter Youshock

If you can stand the smell, try vinegar.  The odor won't last too long and cuts through that haze.

I've noticed the Windex haze about a week or so after using it.  Last time, I tried straight vinegar on a paper towel and the haze hasn't returned--even with the car sitting in the sun with the windows up.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Vinegar and water and use newspaper to wipe. Probably best window cleaner there is, I do the entire house twice a year. But be careful with the newspaper and getting any black on the window surrounds. I also use Griot's window cleaner and their lint-free window towels. You need a real clean towel when using that product to avoid any streaks.
Chris Conklin

R Schroeder

Thanks a lot. It is suppose to drop down a few hundred degrees tomorrow, so I will start trying some of these.

Cadillac Nut

I have used Sprayway glass cleaner myself and can vouch for the results.  Windows look great, much better than Windex as it doesn't streak or spot. 

R Schroeder

Well, I tried the vinegar and water mix today. 505 / 50 mix. WOW, did that make for some clear windows.
I still want to try some of these other products, just to get away from the vinegar smell. But it really does a nice job.
They were crystall clean.
So nice today , it also got a wax job.
Roy

Chris Conklin

You can use about a cup of vinegar in 1/2 gallon of water. It'll still work great and it won't smell as much.  :o
Chris Conklin

R Schroeder

Will check into that. I actually took it from my wife. She uses it to clean the Amish wood work. Tables ....and ....etc.
Might have to mix my own.
Did smell like a big salad , but it was clean.

INTMD8

Another vote for invisible glass.   Windex makes it look like I wiped it down with an oily rag :)

Steve W

Another vote for "Invisible Glass" by Stoner...and old newspapers. Its all I have used for years now and it's the best!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866