News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Fleetwood 75 Clock-- no power to clock?

Started by Cadillac Nut, July 16, 2012, 04:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

Hi,
I have a good functioning clock, have tested it with an external power source, works fines.  It's been ran for 2 days and keeps good time.  However, when I install it in the car it doesn't work.  My first thought would be not getting power.  Everything else in the dash and inside the car works.  I had the dash out, printed circuit looks fine, all wiring is in good shape.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Garrett

Dave Shepherd

Cadillac Nut

The power to the clock is provided by the printed circuit.  I have no idea how to test it, but everything else connected to it works fine, and there are no tears or anything that would look like a problem. I had the whole dash out of the car.  Clock is grounded by the metal casing.   When I had the clock out of the car, I connected one lead to the post on the back and one to the metal face, starts and runs fine.   

Dave Shepherd

Well either the printed circuit is bad, not providing 12v to the clock or it is not grounded, no other answer based on your findings.

cadillactim

Make sure the copper part of the mylar circuit that connects to the clock post is not corroded. Take some steel wool or fine sandpaper and clean the copper part. Take a voltmeter or test light and make sure battery voltage is at that part of the mylar circuit.

Tim
Tim Groves

Cadillac Nut

Thanks.  The clock casing grounds to the back of the dash, that seems to be fine.   I just cleaned the copper part of the printed circuit today.   Didn't do anything.  Should there be a copper washer between the clock post and the back of the printed circuit?  I tried a voltmeter, didn't do anything, but then I connected it to something I know works and it didn't do anything either.  So I must not be connecting it right.  This is the height of ignorance, but, how do I connect the voltmeter?  :-[

Garrett

Dave Shepherd

Red to what you assume is is power/12v and black to a known ground.

Cadillac Nut

That's what I thought & that's how I tested it.  My voltmeter may be bad, I will try it with another one I have.