News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 to 1948 engine compartment question.

Started by gary griffin, July 17, 2012, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am putting my engine compartment back together and have a problem. My car had an earlier radiator installed at some time in the past and there was an apparatus sticking out the front of the radiator to operate shutters. My sheet metal in front of the radiator has been modified slightly and I need a good photo of the large sheet metal that goes between the radiator and the grille. If I can get a photo I can rebuild that area.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how I could have got this far without all of my electronic advisers and enthusiastic support.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Gary: Here are two pictures. Please let me know if you need more. These pictures are from my 47. Not sure if 42 different?      Bill

gary griffin

Thanks Bill,

Mine is a little different but I am not sure if mine is actually  a 1942 or it could be earlier as I had an earlier radiator. 

I have a 1942 parts car but this area is missing on the parts car.

The pictures do clear up a few things though.

The first picture is a picture of what I actually have and the second picture is what I think I need.  They may be the same but with these pictures it is hard to tell. I will go down to the shop and try to figure it out?

If I don't get this right I am not sure the radiator and grille will fit in right so I need to get it figured out ASAP, My painter was about ready to paint these pieces too.

HELP!!   lol.
Gary Griffin

Jeff Hansen

Hi Gary,

The radiator shroud you have is the correct one.  For 1942, Cadillac left the indentation and cut-out for the radiator shutter rod even though they weren't used.  I'll send you a photo of mine the next time I can get a few spare minutes to take a photo.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

gary griffin

Thanks Jeff,

Your memo came in while I was at the shop checking my parts out as compared to the factory drawing. The factory blown up drawing made it look like the angles were more acute than did my old picture of mine prior to dismanteling the car. It in now clear that I have the correct one and one more little emergency to put behind me.

Gary Griffin
Gary Griffin

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Gary -

Yep - looks like the one on your car is correct - a bit of a holdover from 1941 - here is a picture of mine (sorry, not as nice and tidy of most of the others)

Tod