News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help with 1941 60S Rear Body Details

Started by Paul Phillips, July 17, 2012, 03:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Phillips

Looking for pictures to aid in some fabrication on the rear of my 60 Special. The area of concern is the rear bodywork at the bottom of the trunk opening and between the fenders, as well as the panel between the body and bumper, or 'rear deflector' as the parts manual calls it.  I believe some of what is on my car is poorly repaired original, but am not sure that the rear deflector is actually for a 60S, as the fit is a bit strange under the body.  Also there is nothing to connect to the lowest hole on the rear fender flange on rather side. Unfortunately, the visuals in manuals I have are lacking in details on the Fleetwood body.

Thanks for any help you can give in this area.  Would also be interested if someone has some correct spare parts for this area.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Brett Baird

Paul,

The "deflector" is attached only to the bumper bolts, not the body.  It just kind of sits up against the body.  Actually there are a couple of small flat rubber bumpers in the body that it loosely rests against. 

Regarding the lowest holes on the fender flange, they do not attach to the body.  They attach to the lower bracket for the splash shields that are mounted vertically behind the rear wheels/tires.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Paul Phillips

Brett
Many thanks, that clears up a lot for me.  The car came with the deflector attached as you describe, and the lower edge of the body has a series of holes that could mount rubber bumpers.  There is a bit of rust repair yet to do, but that is just typical restoration work.

It does appear that my car has lost the splash shields you mention sometime before it got to me.  Would it be possible for you to take a couple photos of those and comment on the proper materials for their construction?

Thank you!
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout