News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Removing 40"s Cadillac dashboard

Started by gary griffin, July 19, 2012, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am trying to remove the dashboard from a 1942 Cadillac with serious corrosion. I want to use it for a temporary dash while I get my instruments rebuilt and will need it before they are ready.

I have the radio, clock , glove box, and speedometer out so far. The external screws are impossible to break loose even with an impact screw driver. I am grinding the heads off and drilling them also. Hopefully the hidden screws will be more compliant with my efforts.

How do I proceed with this stubborn bugger. I will paint it with a rattle can (My good dashboard has been painted and wood trim painted and I don't want to use it for temporary.

I want to get the car back on the road and change the dashboard out this winter when I  will have more time.

What next?? How many fasteners and exactly where are they? 

I will camage the dash as much as necessary at this pont but do not want to destroy its usefulness as a temporary dash board.

Thanks in advance everybody.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bob Schuman

Gary,
After removing the inside moldings around the windshield, you will see some sheet metal screws along the top edge of the dash, that must be removed. There is also one bolt at each lower rear corner of the dash to be removed. Unbolt the steering column bracket from the dash. The two defroster nozzles must come out, each being held by one sheet metal screw into the cowl, and a tab that holds the other end of the nozzle. These are really fun, especially when you try to reinstall them. You already have the wiring disconnected. The dash should now bome out just by pulling it rearward. Of course, it likely won't move, because the top edge is solidly stuck to the bottom side of the rubber windshield gasket. Work a putty knife or similar flat tool between the dash and windshield rubber. Also, spray something like WD-40 in that area, and let it sit for a couple of hours. I have done this job on my 40 and 41, and I believe the 42 procedure will be the same. During this job, keep reminding yourself that restoring cars is fun!
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Gary: Again what I am showing and saying pertains to my 47. There could well be some  areas of the 42 dash which are different than my 47. Jeff Hansen is the person who knows the 42. Assuming that the 47 is close to the 42 on screws that hold the dash to the windshield header, there are 4 main screws that hold the top back of the dash to the windshield header. Attached is a picture which shows those 4 screws. Not a good picture but with a little magnification you can see the 4 screws at the top back of the dash. Removing the windshield garish molding will let you have access to those 4 screws. Look a the bottom of the dash on both ends and just a little in from the bottom front you will see one ( about a 3/8 bolt) on each end. That makes 6 attaching points for the dash. Unless I have forgotten a screw, that should be all the direct attaching points of the dash. Of course you have to disconnect the steering column brace from the dash as well as disconnect the parking brake cable, all your wiring and any other cables such a the vent cables. Just disconnect any thing connected to the dash. I hope you are using a camera before and after so you can put back together correctly. If you work it right you can put most of the dash together before putting it back in the car like picture 3. Have fun    Bill

Steve Passmore

There is also the brace brackets for the vent mechanism and a dash brace from the firewall.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Hansen

Gary,

I think Bob, Bill, and Steve (thanks, fellows, for you expertise!) have nailed it down for you pretty well.  I can't think of any other attachment points that they have not mentioned.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

gary griffin

Thanks everybody,

I have the window moldings off but the screws are imobile even with an imbact screwdriver so I am grinding odd those I can reach with a grinder and drilling the others out. Hopefully next week there will be time to coplete this task.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver