News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust pipe wrap

Started by KD, July 23, 2012, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD

Does anyone know about the exhaust pipe wrap for my 1940 series 90?
Does it wrap all the way down to the first flange, as it appears to have had. Mine had a wire wrapped around it holding it in place, but I don't think that was original .It looks like it was just to keep it from unravelling. I can get a woven ceramic wrap in 1" or 2" and I think the 2' may be correct . I can also get stainless steel ties but I don't know how many. Help anyone???
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

kkarrer

Those are available from a number of sources.  I got mine for my 41 from McVey's.  It will come with 3 stainless or aluminum bands for securing it to the pipe.  It will be in a plastic bag with water in it to keep it from drying out on the shelf.  I found it helpful to use clear or white plastic zip ties to help hold it in place while you put the 3 bands and the split in the material where you want them.  While it dries out it will drip for a few hours.  You can clip off the zip ties or leave them in place after installing the bands.  Mine are still on.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Ken: Too add to what Ken posted, my Master Parts book shows the length of that asbestos exhaust wrap was 11 1/2 inches long for the 75 and 90 series car from 38 through 1940 where as the length of most other series 38 through 48 was 19 3/8.    Bill

KD

Bill, My metal covering that bolts to the manifold is almost 17" long, It seems to me it should at least that long.
Ken D
Ken Dennison

KD

I see in the parts book, you are right, but it still seems short
Ken D
Ken Dennison

KD

The parts book says 2 are needed?
Ken
Ken Dennison

kkarrer

My suggestion would be to get two.  Put one on in full as high up as it needs to go and then put the second one on, take a look and cut it shorter if necessary.  When it extends further down it offers more protection to the starter and battery and to the passengers aspect of the firewall (good name 'eh?).  In judging this era of car I've not run into anyone who would quibble with how long or short those things are.  We tend to create our own monsters when we "over restore."  I just measured one that I have that is still in the bag.  It is 9" x 12".  It's still moist, but the bag was torn.  Heck, if you'd like to have it, give an address and I'll send it on. I don't have an extra set of clamps, but using the thick, heavy duty zip ties (clear or white) will keep it in place while you get some.  It's the best way to hold these things in place while you fiddle with the metal bands.  Let's get that car running!
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Ken,

I would wrap it all the way down to the flange.  The part of this that really shows is covered with a shield (another subject in itself) on the V-16 and the 75 series cars so what you put under it can not be seen unless you look under the car.  I have seen what I think is original down to that point but it is always hard to say what is original for sure.  I use the 2" wide fake asbestos wrap sold by Summit Racing and others.  I have a sample of original (I think) asbestos (for sure) from this in a plastic bag if any judge wants to question it.  This product works so much better than the wet wrap that I am willing to sacrifice a point here if I have to.  I used this on my 40-60S also and it is like new after 6 years and 10,000 miles.  Another thing to keep remembering on the parts book.  It is not necessarily what was original.  It was what they sold to replace what was original.  There are many examples. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Paul Phillips

Brad
I like the suggestion of using the header wrap as the only solution on the exhaust pipe.  I had previously added a wrapped section below the white 'factory' insulation on my 41 to give the starter a bit of extra protection, and am facing the choice again now that I am rebuilding the car.  Curious if you used the rattle can coating sold with the header wrap or left it natural?  6 years & 10K miles is a great result!

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

KD

Thanks all, Espesially Ken Kerrar foor your offer. I'm so grateful for everyones help
Ken Dennison CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

48-62

My 'take' on exhaust wrap was a textile based graphite coated  material ( thermalvelocity.co.uk ) It was easy to apply and was put there to protect primarily the water pump.  Works well and I have not suffered with heat soak on the starter, and with our temperatures in summer it is unlikely to.  After a recored radiator, porcelainised manifolds, new thermostat and hoses it will now idle for 15 minutes in traffic.  Don't know if that is good or bad, but means I can get the car out and use it.

Anybody got experience with electric fans on their 346, and what size works best ?  Would a fan blade with more blades work ?

Any thoughts appreciated