News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where did the term 'original miles' come from?

Started by TJ Hopland, July 23, 2012, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Where did the term original miles come from?  Are there other kinds of miles I just don't know about?

That term is getting right up there for bugging me in ads.  Its up there with the apparent fact that any Oldsmobile engine is a rocket and any engine over 351 is a big block.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Original miles comes from the Odometer reading not being around the second time, that is with old cars, going past 100,000 miles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

But wouldn’t the 100,001 mile also be “original” as opposed to “after market” miles “non factory” miles or “restored” miles?     ;D

Somehow “original miles” just does not seem to be the right word for this application. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Intersting thoughts.

I remember back in the days of "non digital computer type" odometers
when the used cars dealers routinely used an electric drill to turn back the
mileage.  All of a sudden, a 150,000 mile car became a 25,000 mile car.
This was common practice in the 50's - 70's with many used car dealers.
A friend that worked at a major dealer in the 60's told me so.

I guess that's where the term "original mileage" came from -- however,
who really knows whether the mileage is "original" or not?

This is where your knowledge gathered over many years comes in handy.
For example, if a car is advertised as "10,000 original miles" and the gas
and brake petals are worn thin, it's a fake.  Many other signs are, of course,
obvious to the knowlegeable buyer -- too many to mention here.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Glen on July 24, 2012, 12:45:02 AM
But wouldn’t the 100,001 mile also be “original” as opposed to “after market” miles “non factory” miles or “restored” miles?     ;D

Somehow “original miles” just does not seem to be the right word for this application.
But, in the case of the odometer of the car showing 000001 mile, is it 100,001 miles, or 200,001, or 300,001 miles.

It is this reason that Odometers now go up to 999,999 miles, or kilometers down here, in order to try and stop the unscrupulous sellers from understating the actual distance travelled without winding back the odometers.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

I understand the concept.  I just think the term “original miles” is incorrect in this application.  There must be a better word for that. 

I think that’s what TJ is getting at too. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

The term "original miles " is commonly misused after many years of overuse, however I think that backed up with proper documentation ie log or service books that it could be ascertained to be correct or otherwise. Perhaps "verified miles" is a better term.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Down here, only BMW, Porsche and Mercedes owners get their vehicles "Log-book" correct. ;)

They are the only ones that can afford going to dealers for servicing as nobody else will touch them. ;D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

gjackson15

What gets all over me is the term "low miles" when a car that is 10-12 years old has 140,000 because it is less than 20K per year of age. Rant Over!
1973 Sedan DeVille
1985 Eldorado Biarritz
1992 Sedan DeVille (Sold!)

R Schroeder

Low Miles . That's the one that gets me too. Does the car know it has low miles because its 40 years old, or high miles because its 6 months old ? Miles are miles .

Original miles doesn't bother me to much. Its like original paint , or tires. It just means to me that it hasn't been touched or something isn't changed.

Another one that I hate is when they swap a 80,000 mile engine for a 80,000 miles engine and then say in the ad it has a new engine.
My friend from P.A. was here last week, and he said he had a new engine put in his 89 Caddy. In the next breath he said it only had 60,000 miles on it.
I said , man it isn't new, its a transplant.

gjackson15

Don't get me started on "all highway miles". Like you said, miles are miles. The doors were opened and closed, all systems were engaged.
1973 Sedan DeVille
1985 Eldorado Biarritz
1992 Sedan DeVille (Sold!)

Davidinhartford

"Easy highway Miles"  LOL    Love that one too.  As if 100,000+  of fast miles are better than 100,000+ miles done by a little old lady who drove slow and pampered her car.

Plus the phrase "All original".  except for paint, top and tires.    Huh?

I think the real orgin of "Original Miles" was coined by the person who first wrote:   "Ran when parked".

R Schroeder

Oh, thats the one I really like.
RAN WHEN PARKED....................................ha

Or they toss a quick paint job on the car, and say RESTORED.

Quentin Hall

What about "Rust Free" when they mean "Free Rust" ;D
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

How about original-one-owner-garage kept-highway-driven-southern miles.... ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Terry Wenger

This all goes along with other terms that are freely used:

Frame-Off Restoration: Was the car turned upside down and the frame taken off the body or should it be Body-Off Restoration which is the normal way of doing things? Frame-Up restoration might be OK.

Other terms that are used frequently, Post coupe; a coupe if it has a rear quarter window has a pillar or "Post" if not it is a 2 door hardtop;" three on the tree", "suicide doors", etc.

Concerning mileage, how about the car with 0 miles on a frame up restoration ? I would be very cautious of a restored car that hasn't been driven or de-bugged yet!

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Guidematic

All just basic salemanship of used cars. Dealers did and still do resort to any term or slogan that will present their offering in a favourable fashion. I often laugh at that term as well. Origianl as opposed to new, replacement, rebuilt or whatever miles? But I do know whety it means.

Low miles is a relative term.

Another that bothers me is the use of the term "Big Block" It is used purely out of ignorance. So far as I have been able to tell, it was to differentiate the Chevrolet 283/327 from the 348/409. Then the SBC and the BBC throuigh the 60's and 70's. Also used to differentiate the differant 400 cid engines from Chevrolet. In any event it was confined to Chevrolet.

Ford had several differant basic engines through the 50's to 80's, but they were generally identified as Y-block, FE, MEL, Windsor, Cleveland, Modified and 385. But I am now seeing that terminology creeping into that camp.

As for the others it is a complete misnomer. Such as calling a 472/500 a big block. So, is the 331/365/390/429 a small block? And the 4.* engines a tiny block?

Chrysler, Olds, Buick used the same basic block with 2 differant deck heights. Chrysler engines were identified as A, LA, B and RB blocks. And then of coarse the Hemi in both generations.

As far as I know, Pontiac also used differant deck heights for it's many displacements. Here in Canada with our Canadian Pontiacs came with Chevrolet engines, but as American Pontiacs began to proliferate, they were differntiated between Orannge and Blue blocks. But I have heard many folk referring the blue block Pontiac engines as Big Blocks as well.

These terms perpetuate through popular culture and generally ar misused due to general ignorance.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

rwchatham CLC 21892

Reading an add in hemmings,  all original survivor car with new paint and new interior.  If its been painted  its not all original !!!
R. Waligora

Guidematic

He he.....

Another of my favourites is "Ready to restore"

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69