News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac rear end air shock absorbers? (Middle age sagging problem!)

Started by carguyblack, July 24, 2012, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

I have a saggy rear end (of the car!) and I'm told getting leaf springs re-worked is major money so I was wondering if anyone has ever installed air shocks as "helpers" for the leaf springs?  I briefly went on-line to inquire as to availability of after market Monroe or something that would fit and nothing seems to come up. Is this a bad idea in the first place?
Thanks for any advice.  Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Chuck,
I did on my 53. I got them from USA Supply. It allows me to bring the rear end up to level. I have an air valve just under the rear bumper. HOWEVER, air shocks are really not meant to be "helpers" for sagging springs. The real solution is new or reworked springs. I just threw them on as a stop gap until I get around to getting  the new springs.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

carguyblack

Thanks for your reply, Paul. I sort of knew that it wasn't a "fix". When you checked into getting your springs replaced, what kind of money were they talking about? I've heard about $700 for mine. Can they be rebuilt or do you just buy new ones?
By the way, how much were the air shock for your car from USA?
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

I have that on my de Ville and Biarritz. (Both '56) Ideal when you have heavy stuff in the trunk!
The springs of the Biarritz were new, but the tail was too low and I used the de Ville as a "truck" to carry the 300 kg owner manuals and shop manuals during swap meets.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Chuck,

Yes $600 to $700 is about right. USA has them for your car for $600. As far as rebuilding them, I understand that you can have them re-arched but have no idea of the cost. I would just get new ones. Eaton is another source for springs. Air shocks for your car run about $170 a pair.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

2danreed

Chuck, I had a bit of a rear-end sag on my '56 Cadillac and I put a pair of Booster Shocks on  and that worked well. I bought them from Kanter. They're called Coil Over Boosters and run about $165 a pair. The description in the catalog reads: "These shocks will raise car height slightly and compensate for worn springs or heavy loads".

Dan
Dan Reed