News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

flathead rebuilders

Started by pcb50, July 25, 2012, 12:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcb50

I may be looking at rebuilding the engine in my '46 for oil burning reasons. I would like some references from those of you who have done this. So far I have talked to John at J&M in Ma. and to Mark at Jomar in NJ. Has anyone used either and what was your experience?  I'm sure there are many other shops that do this work. I am in central Il. Thanks for your comments. Paul.
1946 62 sedan

Jim Stamper

John at J & M resurfaced my flywheel and balanced the flywheel and clutch for my 37-60 346 coupe. He was most accommodating in that I made an appointment and he did the work with a friend and I watching. He explained the whole operation as he went along.  I saved shipping and we had an interesting afternoon. He next took us for a tour of the place, they can do about anything an old engine might need for a complete rebuild, including welding cracks if required right on site.

If I needed an engine rebuild I wouldn't hesitate to have them do the work.

A few years ago the the New England Region of the CLC had an article by a member about the rebuilding of his 346 that J & M did on his engine. That was how I found them.  They used to have a 346 step by step rebuild on their website if I remember correctly. They seem to have moved on to another engine now, but John could probably email that bit to you.

Nothing like a completely fresh engine to perk up a car.

Jim Stamper, Clc # 13470