News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'39 LaSalle with dual sidemounts.

Started by jamostert, July 25, 2012, 04:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamostert

Do anybody know of a 7 seater sedan '39  LaSalle with dual sidemounts.  The sidemounts have an decorative chrome trimming and a centre (like a hubcap) !!  I have read all the publications and books of laSalles but could not find any one of these cars. How can it be possible that I have an example of one of these cars - could it be a an aftermarket fitment?  The centre chrome "hubcaps" even have the LaSalle logo on it !  I just want to know if there are similar cars than mine in existense.  I am in South Africa and the car has a Fisher body.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Do you have any pictures that you can post?  I am sure that the pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424
Message Board Administrator
Cadillac & La Salle Club

Terry Wenger

Page 307 in  LaSalle, Cadillac's Companion Car by Van Gelderen and Larsen shows a '39 coupe with the sidemounts you describe.  There was also a second design cover used for the '39 LaSalles which had a small hubcap style medallion on it painted black and white. instead of the hubcap.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

C.R. Patton II

Hello Johann

Wonderful to hear that you are improving your LaSalle.

As Terry stated the LaSalle text is a fabulous research source along with an authenticity manual. I would also obtain authentication documentation from your vehicle identification number. Bill made an excellent suggestion requesting that you post pictures. A 7 passenger LaSalle sounds like a commercial chassis or auxiliary company modification.

For the 1939 LaSalle production model year there were 3 types of sidemount covers used:
(1) The regular Cadillac period cover type using front and rear latches
(2) The cover type with a hudcap in the center
(3) A flat shield type with a LaSalle medallion emblem in the center.

Please ask a humongous amount of questions because we love LaSalle's.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.