News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 60 special fittings for gas line from pump to carb

Started by mr41cadillac, July 27, 2012, 08:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

i noticed the fitting that go    inthe puel pump and the carb. for the gas line, that the inside of the fittings are tapered why is this and do they have to be ?

harry s

The brass fittings you mention should be inverted flair to accommodate the flared steel gas line.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

mr41cadillac

i know its flared im talkin about the inside of the fitting is tapered... why

mr41cadillac

did the 60 special originally have an inline gas filter?

KD

It's probably to keep the fitting from leaking
Ken D CLC@26802
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Bill Ingler #7799

No in line filter from fuel pump to carb but if the 41 has a Stromberg carb then there is a round brass strainer in back of the brass intake elbow that receives the fuel line from the fuel pump. Screw off the brass elbow on the back of the carb and you should find the brass strainer. If there has been a fuel filter installed in the fuel line between fuel pump and carb, then it has been added by some previous owner.   Bill

harry s

John, Does the inside of your fitting look like these or is it a tapered pipe fitting with no mate for the flare?
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

mr41cadillac

harry i had a hydraulic shop make me a stainless  teflon lined line . the man at the shop was very familiar with 41 cadillacs and said that the in line filter like i hadwith  a carter glass bowl with the stone like thing are no good and give trouble. i have an original stromburg carb.  he also made me one for the gas line to the fuel pump. he also had 2 fitting.  the fitting i had were flared like your pictures but the other side of the fittings , both the one in car and pump were small interior hole . thats what i cant understand why ? man at shop said thats the way they did it back then as these fitting went of many other models and it made no difference on gas flow. he was very familiar with that era car so i defer to age and knowledge.  the new fitting have larger interior holes.     i connected them up and she ran 2 seconds and gas is leaking out of carb. ive taken the carb. off last night. any suggestions i would appreciate. i had rebuilt this witha kit  from kanter and they sent me an accelerator pump that was to big then sent me another that i think fits , but she leaks gas while sitting on car.  thanks john                     

harry s

John, If your leak is at the fitting it sure sounds like there is a mismatch of fittings. The fittings in the picture are the correct ones. The male end that goes into the carb and fuel pump is a pipe thread. The female end is an inverted flare that mates with 45 degree double flare tubing. If the female end of the fittings you describe is tapered it is a pipe thread. The flare fitting will start to screw in and turn about 3 time before tightening, but it will leak. I agree about the inline filter. There should not be one and the line should have some sort of heat shielding due to being so close to the exhaust manifold. In spite of what your tubing man says I would check all of the connections for compatability. Some stainless steel is flared at 37 degrees. Good Luck, Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

mr41cadillac

the lines are fine my leak was the float was set wrong.

harry s

Glad you got that sorted out. Nothing worse than a gas leak.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum