News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Gas Cap

Started by waterzap, July 27, 2012, 10:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

So the other day I cleaned the 78 Eldorado. Nice wash, wax. Also put in some marine stabil. Drove away and thought, wow, the car pulls nicely now. Just felt a bit more peppy. Never thought just washing the car would make it faster :-)

Got to gas station and found that I left the gas cap on the bumper and it fell off. Was driving without a gas cap. Now I am wondering. I could definitely feel a performance improvement.
What's up?
Evap canister blocked maybe? Any way to just bypass it? Just disconnect it? Something else I should look at?
Leesburg, AL

The Tassie Devil(le)

Gee, didn't know those Gas Caps were so heavy. ;)

But seriously, it shouldn't make any difference if the fuel is getting into the carby.   But, maybe the Pollution Controls in these cars is that sensitive.   

The cap should be non-vented.

Could the Stabil stuff have immediately increased the Octane level?   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

waterzap

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 27, 2012, 10:29:57 PM
Gee, didn't know those Gas Caps were so heavy. ;)

But seriously, it shouldn't make any difference if the fuel is getting into the carby.   But, maybe the Pollution Controls in these cars is that sensitive.   

The cap should be non-vented.

Could the Stabil stuff have immediately increased the Octane level?   

Bruce. >:D

Heavy heavy cap:-)
Maybe just my imagination. Cap was non vented. But then without any cap, guess got a vented system.
Dont know if the Stabil did anything. Tank was at about 1/4 when I put it in. Filled up to 1/2.
Leesburg, AL