News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Remote mirror on 57' Caddy keeps falling

Started by TBZ_57_Series_62, July 29, 2012, 11:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBZ_57_Series_62

My mirror seems to have lost the tension on the small round "ball" on the back of the mirror itself, that keeps it in place... Does anyone have any ideas of how to repair this, so it works as it should? Is there anywhere to purchase a new one that is exactly as came from the factory?

I have a 1957 Series 62.

T. Zahnke

Walter Youshock

You can take the mirror off the door easily.

Remove the adjuster knob with an Allen wrench.  With the door open, you'll see 2 screws inside the door under the mirror mounting plate.  Remove them and pull the mirror out of the door.

There is a large spring held with a clip which tensions the mirror.  Check to see it didn't fall off.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TBZ_57_Series_62

it's not the adjuster arm that's loose. It's the mirror itself where it attaches to the arm - As I said it's the "ball-like" part that slips, thus the mirror spins around and hangs downward.
Does someone know to to fix that part?

T.Zahnke

Bill Balkie 24172

Hi , I have had this problem , you have to remove the glass from the mirror itself . the glass is swagged into position and is almost impossible to remove without breaking . What i have done in the past was to take out the old glass ( yes it will break )  Fix the problem with the spring . now you need to replace the glass . I ordered a 12 X 12 inch square  X .118 ( 1/8 thick ) mirrored polycarbonate sheet form McMaster Carr  part number is 2518T14. (very machinable ) and turned this sheet on a lathe  to the exact size of the original glass mirror . I was able to pop this into position, and ever  so carfully reform the outside  of the housing to hold it into position . . The cost of the repair was under 20 dollars in parts but it is time consuming . I did this to two mirrors and they came out pretty darn good . you would never know if i did not tell you they were repaired with a polycaronate sheet mirror . These mirrors if you can find them are always very expensive .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

57flw

Here is a couple of photos that may help.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Bill Balkie 24172

TBZ  your problem is behind the glass mirror itself  , There ia a screw and a spring that needs attention .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Walter Youshock

I get it now.  The ball is held tight with a metal band that sometimes rusts or weakens and it's behind the glass.  Not sure if you can even have the original repaired without getting into some expense.  It may be cheaper to get a replacement/reproduction mirror or replace just the head/glass assembly.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham