News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fel Pro Valve Cover Gaskets Painted side ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 04, 2012, 02:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  i purchased a set of Fel Pro Valve cover Gaskets . One side has painted strips the other side is plain . Does it matter what side goes down on the Block   ?  Painted or non painted ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Wilk

Here is an add on question. When installing new Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets what should you use if you also want to put adhesive or other sealer on them?  I know they should not need any but they always seem to leak just a little bit of oil at the back corners. So why not do it now?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Bill Balkie 24172

Thanks David,
    Good question Jeff . I am also interested in other club members opinions on the sealant .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

Permatex High Tach is/was a common one.   Its a red film vs a thick RTV.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

I have always used clear silicone. I mount the gaskets on the valve covers , after applying some to the gasket ,  and let them sit over night. I then put some on the underside the next day and mount them.
Just my 2 cents.
Roy

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   There is so many differant opinion on the sealant . Even when you ask people at the auto store . so many products on the market that claim to do the job . I guess you have to break it down to cork and lean towards a permenate seal . once you install a set of valve covers on a mid 50's Cadillac ,i would think the person would except those covers to be on few years . some claim adhesive spray , permitex # 2 , Red permitex ,  Black RTV  , Silicon ,  etc ,etc , etc Some say don't use any thing at all .  but i do appreciate everyones experiences on this matter . ( I do not like oil leaks  or the smell of oil burning )

decisions , decisions ,
                     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Classic

My favorite is http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Black_Maximum_Oil_Resistance_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm .  Spread a thin coat on both sides of the gasket.  Make sure the valve cover flange is straight and flat - no waviness.  Hammer it flat and straight if needed.  Make sure the mounting surfaces of the valve cover and the head are clean and dry - wipe with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

R Schroeder

Bill, Most of them are silicone based products. I'm sure any of them will work for you.
Roy

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Fel Pro, I believe, has a toll free tech number. Ask them.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I used the Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum . I will report back in a few weeks . Thanks for all the help . Classic you are probably right about the majority of products . however the most important step is  to make sure the surfaces are good , straight ,  clean and oil free at the time of assembly .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jay Friedman

A week ago I noticed both valve covers on my '49 were leaking at the lower rear corner.  My mistake was that after a recent valve job the previous gaskets "looked good", so I re-used them.  Took off the valve covers to find: 1. the gaskets were flattened somewhat from years of use; 2. testing with a straight edge showed the valve covers were bent up slightly at both ends; 3. the areas under the screws were also flattened.  2. and 3. were, I think, because of overtightening of the 4 screws.  The engine slopes backwards slightly, so oil from the rocker arms accumulates at the lower rear corner of the top of the head around the drain hole at that location, therefore the leaks. 

Took the covers to a friend, Art Gardner, who has body work skills that I do not, and he was able to straighten the covers.  Bought new gaskets only to find them shrunk slightly from being on the shelf too long.  Yesterday put them in a towel folded up once over which I poured boiling water.  (The towel kind of distributes the water evenly.)  After 2 pourings and 30 minutes or so the gaskets were back to normal. 

Art recommended Permatex Ultra Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, which I applied to the gasket surface of the valve covers only, not the heads.  I laid the valve covers upside down on the bench with the screws in place to partially hold them and put some weights on the gaskets for 30 minutes or so until the silicone dried a bit and the gaskets stuck to the cover.  Then re-installed the covers on the motor.  As per the Permatex instructions I re-tighened the 4 screws after an hour or so to compensate for the gaskets "settling".  Instructions also said the silicone takes 24 hours to "cure", so haven't started the motor yet.  It should be OK.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Roger Zimmermann

Usually, I put some sealer (no RTV, I hate silicon) on the cover, assemble the whole on the heads, the 4 screws not tighted too much. After some use, I retorque a bit the screws. With this method, I can remove the covers and reinstall them without a leak. Of course, the covers must be straight.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101