News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power antenna 1979 Coupe DeVille

Started by fasted55, August 04, 2012, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasted55

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum having just complicated my life by buying a 1979 Le Cabriolet by Hess and Eisenhardt.  The car appears to be sound in the major areas accept the paint is pretty shot.  But my first question involves the non operable power antenna.  It's stuck in the up position.  I assume (no owners manual) that the antenna should go up and down with power on/off (factory radio)?  Is it worth troubleshooting or just dump it and install a manual one? Thanks, Ed

cadillactim

Pretty common for the cord inside to break, which sometimes causes the antenna to get stuck up as the cord can't wind up and lower the antenna.

Do you hear the antenna motor run at all when you turn the radio on and off? Make sure the antenna wiring has not been unplugged.

If yours is bad I sell these factory antennas rebuilt with new reproduction masts.

Tim
Tim Groves

76eldo

That's a great car.  I tried to by one in upstate NY a few months ago that needed paint.  Possibly the same one?

Post some pics when you can.  I currently own two H & E Eldorado's.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

fasted55

Hi guys,
I haven't trouble shot the antenna yet but it's good to know a rebuilt one is available.  Thanks Tim.  My #1 priority right now is getting the title in my name and the car through IM240 emissions testing.  The previous title is from Michigan but I bought the car from an EBAY dealer out of Lakeland Florida (hint) sight unseen except for pictures. Why I keep doing this I don't know. I guess I like to complicate my life.  Red body, white top, white interior.  Supposedly 45K original but unverified and with only 5 digit odometer who knows?  I did get the H&E Service manual with the car thank goodness but no owners manual.  I bought a Haynes on-line and await delivery.  I'll post one picture from the add as I haven't taken my own yet.
Ed