News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac Ignition Switch Question

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, August 07, 2012, 04:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

On the rear of the ignition switch there are three terminals. Top, middle and bottom. in a triangular pattern with the middle terminal on the driver's side of the switch when the switch is installed its proper position (keyhole in vertical postion).
I wish to verify the connections since I have not found a clear schematic of this switch.
With the switch in its proper position, I have connected the coil wire to the bottom terminal, the battery wire to the middle terminal (driver's side terminal) and all accessories to the top terminal including the starter button lead.
My accessories are: radio, heater-defroster and cigarette lighter.  These are all connected to the top switch as well the starter button lead ( 4 wires). It seems a little excessive for one terminal! 
Do I have the leads on the correct terminals?
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

Jeff Maltby 4194

You have it right Bill.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Jeffo,

Can you scan your drawing of all the electrical connections a bit better so the margins are visible and send me a copy for the newsletter of the Forty Niners Chapter.

Thanks,

jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

R Sotardi #11719

Is the 1950 ignition switch the same as the 48 &49s? Bill, I went to my 1950 wire diagram Looking from the rear of the dash, I can see the reason for your concern. I guess that the letters  A B & C(coil) are the best indicators. Ron

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my oem harness attached to the switch.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jay. Remember when I told you my dash is partially undercoated, the only one I've ever seen since , having parted out many 49's since 1985.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500