News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 eldorado vacuum advance

Started by 58cadconvert, August 07, 2012, 04:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58cadconvert

I'm trying to figure out a proble, engine runs great at idle. BUt, it almost dies when put in gear.  The timing jumps to 24 degrees advance when the line is connected. Base setting is at 7. is it normal for the timing to advance that far?

Thanks

Dave Shepherd

You have the hose connected to manifold vacuum, should be ported vacuum, check the shop manual for proper connections.

Glen

I don’t know the specs for this car but 24 degrees sounds way too far for a 58.  The problem is most likely the vacuum advance is the wrong one.    That looks like something for a much more modern car. 

Look up the specs for your car.  If the max advance is say 12 degrees.  Use a hand vacuum pump to set the advance to 12 degrees with the engine running at idle (so that the mechanical advance does not kick in).  Check how much vacuum is needed to get the required vacuum advance.  Turn off the engine and remove the distributor cap. Pump up the vacuum to the proper vacuum and see how far the vacuum advance moves, and mark it.  Then you need to manufacture a stop to prevent it from going beyond that point.  I used a small piece of metal cut to the right length and held down by the mounting screw for the vacuum advance. 

It helps to have a digital timing light to accurately measure the advance. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104