News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hoist Points???

Started by Jeff Wilk, August 08, 2012, 10:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

OK.....Noah and my oldest son Alex have convinced me to pull the engine on our '59 Fleetwood project "....while we are at it since the entire front clip is already off.....so we can really clean the frame and firewall and paint properly".  I know that they are right, and LOVE the fact that they are thinking about the project even when we are not working on it!!

So we have the exhaust and intake manifolds already off the engine and valve covers and valley cover all off as well as all other components.  We plan on pulling the transmission and engine together.  I've pulled 5 engines from my '58 Cadillacs over the years but the memories of exactly where I attached the hoist chains is vague........

So where do we attach the hoist chains to this '59 engine/trans combo?????  I sure don't want to bend the rocker arms, bolts, or crack anything.........
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Remove the Carby and make a 3/8" plate that replicates the Carby base, and then weld a vertical plate, fore and aft, to it with holes in it and attach the lifting hook there.

Make it multi-fit, and you can then lift any V type engine.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Wilk

Hmmm sounds good but tri power is off and restored snd reassembled on intake manifold off the car already.   I recall simply attaching the hoists "L" brackets on the the chains to head or manifold bolts.  Just forget which ones
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha........

There is nothing wrong with attaching a couple of plates to the diagonally opposite Exhaust Port bolts holes, say 3" long, with 3/8" holes in each end, then simply shackle a chain from the ends of the steel pieces and lift it out.

Or even the diagonally opposite Intake Bolt holes in the heads.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

curly

Jeff,
When I pulled the engine on my Fleetwood I used a Harbor Freight Engine Leveler (Gives 4 attaching points) and bolted it to the intake manifold bolt holes (Manifold was off). I pulled only the engine. If you pull both, make sure your chain is rated for the weight. That's a heavy engine/trans combo!

T Lewis