News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac towing damage

Started by Eldovert, August 09, 2012, 03:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldovert

I am sure someone has gone through this before. My ambulance was picked up by a bumper sling equipped tow truck and the bumper assembly was tweaked upward. I remember this happened to my parents '56 limo...these cars are just too heavy to pick up from the front bumper.
My question is does this actually bend the bumper brackets or does it just shift things out of alignment ?
I would like to get that dealt with before mounting the freshly chromed bumpers.
Thank you,Pat MacPhail

Dave Shepherd

When thebumper is bent upwards everything near it is moved when dropped down some things return to thier position, some don't, look closely at the grille, lamps, braces and brackets some may just need readjusting some could be bent.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like you are in for some serious straightening on bracketry.

The only real way to reverse the damage without removing the parts is to apply pressure in the opposite direction, but unless you have access to ground anchor points, as in a Bodyworks Frame Jig, you will have to disassemble everything, and individually adjust each part.

But, I would initially be looking at the Bumper Bracket Mounting Bolts at the frame and see if there has been any movement there.   If there is, then a simple case of undo, realign and do up might fix it.

Don't forget that these cars were designed to use a Bumper Bar Jack to change tyres when flats occurred.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

I know this is a very old thread. But the question always haunts me: Where is the best place to attach the tow rope to an X-frame-car when pulling it onto a tow truck? The shop manual of the 1962 has towing instructions but no information on this question.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: 6262 on January 18, 2023, 01:42:29 AMI know this is a very old thread. But the question always haunts me: Where is the best place to attach the tow rope to an X-frame-car when pulling it onto a tow truck? The shop manual of the 1962 has towing instructions but no information on this question.

I believe it was under and or around the lower control arms.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Where would I find an answer to that question? The owner's Manual only features the same text as the shop manual.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Finndorado

Quote from: 6262 on January 20, 2023, 01:39:43 AMWhere would I find an answer to that question? The owner's Manual only features the same text as the shop manual.

Did you find out this ?
1973 Eldorado convertible

Eldovert

Quote from: 6262 on January 18, 2023, 01:42:29 AMI know this is a very old thread. But the question always haunts me: Where is the best place to attach the tow rope to an X-frame-car when pulling it onto a tow truck? The shop manual of the 1962 has towing instructions but no information on this question.
Always best to pull from the center no matter what the frame configuration..try to hook the tow line in the middle of the cross member.Not too critical if you are pulling up onto a trailer because there is little stress.If the vehicle is stuck or the drive line is compromised pull from the middle.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

59-in-pieces

Anybody.

I see this post has not had a lot of traction over the years.

Mine is a question borne out of unrelated curiosity.

Are the upper red lights mounted in some fabricated shell affixed to the roof.
Or, was the roof itself modified to accept the lights.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quote from: Finndorado on November 21, 2023, 04:17:12 AMDid you find out this ?

Unfortunately not. I haven't found any official instruction.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Eldovert

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on November 21, 2023, 12:00:06 PMAnybody.

I see this post has not had a lot of traction over the years.

Mine is a question borne out of unrelated curiosity.

Are the upper red lights mounted in some fabricated shell affixed to the roof.
Or, was the roof itself modified to accept the lights.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Have fun.
Steve B.

Hi Steve,
The roof is pressed in a smooth configuration.These light mounts are welded to the roof for the ambulance.They are blended in with a lot of lead.All these commercial cars had quite a bit of lead used for smoothing things out.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

jaxops

What a great car.  Even AAA has car skates.  They put two 4-wheel skates under your rear wheels and lock them in.  They pop up without using a jack.  Then they slightly raise the front with the truck tongue piece.  I had this done on my '56 limo and had no damage.  Not for highway towing but they could if they didn't speed.

Best of luck with your unbending adjustments.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA