News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac washer not working.

Started by Thomas G. Smith, August 10, 2012, 07:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas G. Smith

:(Have a 1970 Deville Convertible. Replaced washer pump and checked all lines to pump. We even tried to prime the pump. She will not squirt......... This cost me points at the Grand Nationals in Columbus. Any suggestions??????

T. Smith clc 26196
Thomas G. Smith

Gene Beaird

Thomas,  are you getting the pumping noise when you press the washer button?  Are you getting water through the hoses to the squirters on the car?  If so, you may have clogged squirters.  Common problem with old, metal squirters.  You can sometimes clear the clog with a fine wire up into the squirters, but you'll need to verify where the stoppage is. 

Heck, if the system's been open for any period of time, I've seen insects build nests inside the hoses, causing a clog that's really difficult and annoying to chase down. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Thomas G. Smith

Hi Gene, thanks for your reply.  Hoses appear to be clear and clean of debris. I'm going to try and trouble shoot by taking the pump loose to see if the mechanism has any movement. It might be might next to last move....

Thanks,
T. Smith     clc 26196
Thomas G. Smith

Gene Beaird

You should be able to hear it run. If you don't hear it pumping away when you press the washer button, then the pump needs electrical service. They have a set of points that can get corrosion on them. Clean them like a regular set of ignition points and see if that doesn't help.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

waterzap

You can hear it run. Tock tock tock. You can also disconnect all the hoses and feel with your finger if you get suction in the one, and air coming out of the other two. I put in a new pump and connected the hoses incorrectly :-) Kept seeing bubbles in the container.

Leesburg, AL