News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Radiator Thermostat

Started by csearider, August 13, 2012, 04:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

Anyone have information on the Radiator Thermostat that I removed from my 1940 LaSalle? The one that moved the radiator shroud vents. What years did it cover and did the Cadillac for same years carry the same thermostat? Also I know there are folks that refurbish these and would appreciate info on having such done (where to send it).

Don Boshara #594

Same for '39 thru '41, except series 90. Bill Hirsch has them, but they ain't cheap. $285. I think someone rebuilds them, but I can't remember who or how much.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

csearider

yes, I too remember there was someone in the forum that said they were capable of rebuilding them but cannot remember either

Doug Houston

Don't know what information may be available, but they were made by Fulton Sylphon. Try looking up on Google. Ya never know.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jeff Maltby 4194

You know Doug, so tell us @ evasive @ com ?

:<)

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

gary griffin

I trust Eddie Jones to sell good salvage parts he has been doing it a long time and is a great source ov knowledge and parts of that era. Telephone 612-558-2629

By the way many of us contribute to the foreums to share our knowledge and assist others and sometimes we add a little levity to the situation.

No need to give the "Cow Died" bit!!!!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

csearider

I do appreciate the reply and the information. I know someone that has a termo that needs repair and will forward this info to them when I talk to them  today.
Last time I looked for one of these the supply was limited and the prices were very healthy. It will be good to keep things from being thrown away that can be saved.

Thanks!

buicksplus

I have a '37 and '40, both with thermostats that look like yours.  I have not checked to see if they will interchange.  I think they will.  I think they used them on earlier models and later models (up to 1948) too.

The thermostat on my '40 worked for years but eventually stopped working.  IMO these gadgets are interesting but hardly worth repairing.  When they work they open the shutters very quickly, I never saw a situation in my '40 when they actually regulated the temperature.  I suppose it might do that if you were driving in very cold weather in the winter.  Not many collector cars experience that.

So, we operate our '40 with the shutters wired open and the engine runs just fine that way, pretty much as it did when the thermostat was working.

My '37 is not on the road yet but I note that the previous owner way back in the day (it was off the road since the early sixties) removed the shutters completely.  On a '37 the shutters are impossible to see without removing the grill, and I am leaving mine shutterless for now.  I don't expect that to be a problem.

You do need to have at least a non-working thermostat to fill that huge hole in the radiator, so don't throw it away!
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

csearider

Thank you so much for the detailed inf...I really appreciate it

gary griffin

To Buick Plus,  $1 was the last year of shutters, While I am restoring a 42 Cadillac I found out that someone had put an earlier motor in it and a Shutter type radiator which I exchanged with Eddie Jones for a correct 42 to 48 radiator.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver