News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for a ride in a 41 or 42 60S

Started by Cooke, August 15, 2012, 12:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I am thinking of purchasing a 41 or 42 series 60S in the future but I would like to drive or just get a short ride in one from a member. I am  looking for someone in the CT or MA. area as I am in central CT. I would like to know what they drive like before I start looking to buy.

Thanks,

Martin

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Martin: Sorry I can`t give you a ride as I have sold my 41-60S but I can pass on some free advise when you do start looking to buy. The 41-60S body was by Fleetwood. There are several areas in that body that used wood for support. One critical area used wood to help support the body. There are two lengthwise wood stringers under the body and over the frame. Make sure these wood stringers have not developed dry rot. I use an ice pick to see how solid are the stringers. I have been told that new stringers can be installed without removing the body but I have my doubts that if so, it would be a lot of hard work without removing the body. Around the back window is wood and you can see that by opening the trunk. There is wood near were the front fenders meet the frame. That can be replaced without too much trouble.  To me the 41-60S was one of the best designed sedans ever made by Cadillac. I guess I still have a bit of sellers remorse for selling my 41.    Bill

pauldridge

I have a 1940. Out of 14 class cars ins my garage the 60s is my favorite
Quiet  smooth  powerful.
You won't be disappointed

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on August 15, 2012, 05:32:42 PM
Hi Martin: Sorry I can`t give you a ride as I have sold my 41-60S but I can pass on some free advise when you do start looking to buy. The 41-60S body was by Fleetwood. There are several areas in that body that used wood for support. One critical area used wood to help support the body. There are two lengthwise wood stringers under the body and over the frame. Make sure these wood stringers have not developed dry rot. I use an ice pick to see how solid are the stringers. I have been told that new stringers can be installed without removing the body but I have my doubts that if so, it would be a lot of hard work without removing the body. Around the back window is wood and you can see that by opening the trunk. There is wood near were the front fenders meet the frame. That can be replaced without too much trouble.  To me the 41-60S was one of the best designed sedans ever made by Cadillac. I guess I still have a bit of sellers remorse for selling my 41.    Bill
Quote from: Cooke on August 15, 2012, 12:34:39 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a 41 or 42 series 60S in the future but I would like to drive or just get a short ride in one from a member. I am  looking for someone in the CT or MA. area as I am in central CT. I would like to know what they drive like before I start looking to buy.

Thanks,

Martin
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Virgil Perkins

Hello Martin,
Unable to add much to what Bill said as he brought up very good points. If you should happen to look at a 1941 6019SF (a division window car)   keep in mind that the front seat does not move. If you are over 6 foot or long legged, you will be cramped. Mine has a division window but being short in the britches, it doesn't bother me. You should know the minute you slide behind the steering wheel. They are truly great cars.
Regards, Virgil
Virgil Perkins

Paul Phillips

I would like to build on a couple of these points. 

Bill's advice on the wood sills is quite important.  It would be my opinion that these cannot be practically changed withe the body on the frame, as there are metal panels that are spot welded to the body that extend under the wood in the cowl area and in front of the rear wheel well.  The worst areas for wood rot in cars that saw rain would be in the cowl area and under the B pillar.  The supports for the step plates and rocker trim are also places to watch.

Leg room is somewhat compromised even in cars without the division glass. I am 6-4 and that is probably near the limit of leg comfort, given seat travel. Headroom is nt a problem, as these cars seemed to include room to wear a hat as a design criteria.

Final area to consider is if you like the charm of a prewar Hydramatic, or would prefer a postwar version or manual shift.

There is a good support community within the club for these cars, so lots of help is around, should you need it.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout