News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Water Pump

Started by jeremy9146, August 16, 2012, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy9146

This might seem like a stupid question.  I've gotten a 57 running that was sitting about forty years.  The car did not have a water pump on it.  I now need to purchase a pump.  I've been told that water pumps for 1957 are specific for 57 only.  Seems odd to me.  Please let me know if that really is the case.  Thanks Jeremy
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

cadman49

jeremy;its not a stupid question.  cadillac,in their infinite wisdom decided to put the lower output of the water pump on the pass side  (right side). if you look down to the crossmember,you will see the indention stamped in is for the radiator hose to get to the radiator. 57 ONLY!! who knows why. the 57 was an experement car. first year of the x-frame,ball joints,adjust.points-thru cap,afb carb,,and a few other things--you'll find them. a little hint;you need to shim the motor mounts about 1/4" inch if youre having trouble getting belts off of crank pulley.new mounts wont help that much,as they are the same as the old mounts? as youre looking for a 57 pump,be aware of the price sharks.pumps are rare but obtainable. i have a 57 cpe. and i love the uniqueness and mystery of this (one year only car)?? p.s they have a vacuum pump in the oil pan! think about that for a while!!!         good luck  richard

Mike Simmons 938

Jeremy- it also fits the 58 Eldo Brougham!!, so you are in rare company. I have two pumps, one which is rusty but spins so I think it's a rebuildable core. The other is NOS, purchased from ( and correctly painted by) a CLC member who originally thought it would fit his 1960 ( or thereabouts) car. NOT. Anyway, I bought it from him since I thought I  needed a pass-side outlet for the 60 engine I was putting in my 40 sedan. Fit fine on the engine, but-couldn't see the timing marks, and the 60 pulley ,which I had to use, hit the pump housing and I had no room on the shaft to add a spacer. So-took it off and replaced the 40 Cad radiator with an aluminum one with a driver's side outlet.
So, It's for sale at my original cost plus S&H. Still should be a lot less than any commercial seller or rebuilder. eMail me at argonaut2002@comcast.net.  Also, the shortness of the shaft seems to mean it is for non-air conditioned cars- I GUESS. An AC multi-sheeve pulley might not get enough support.

Mike Simmons 938

Smcttc

If you have a 57 do you also have instructions to installing seatbelt ?

Walter Youshock

Ron,

The original seatbelts were attached to the seat rail with heavy crimped cables.  Since the seat itself is attached to the floor of the car with 8 bolts, anything more than a 20 mph kiss would probably rupture your spleen.  A lady from my town died this way from a minor fender bender back in the early '60's because she had her seatbelt on.  Not sure if the seat itself broke loose from the car or it was just the way the car was hit.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham