News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Testing the Vacuum headlight motors on 68 Eldorado

Started by Forgiven1989, August 17, 2012, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forgiven1989

The headlight doors do not work on my 68 Eldorado.  I have replaced the small vacumm lines to the switch. I also replaced the check valve under the hood.  With the motor running, I can manually open the doors and they will stay up as long as the car is running. I have a vacumm pump with a guage on it.  Is it possible to connect the pump to the acuators to see if they will hold a vacumm or is there something else I can do?  Thanks

Carl Glass

Here you go, pages from the service manual describing the vacuum headlamp door system and troubleshooting.

enjoy

c
Carl Glass
'68 Eldorado, cruise control, climate control, am/fm stereo, tilt/tele, 6-way bench, and vinyl roof.  Would love to add the twilight sentinel, guide-matic, power door locks, right hand mirror, headrests, and floor mats.  And how about leather buckets?  Oh, and pull the vinyl top.

Forgiven1989

Quote from: Carl Glass on August 17, 2012, 07:51:55 PM
Here you go, pages from the service manual describing the vacuum headlamp door system and troubleshooting.

enjoy  Thanks Carl.

c

Rob Troxel

I would also check the canister motors directly with a vac pump to see if they hold any PSI.  That is probably the issue. The motors usually leak around those actuator rods but is could be a simple as a hose connection.

While you are at it, check the Vacuum reservoir behind the drivers headlight to see if it will hold any vac.  If you have the twight sentinel option, look at the actuator located near the driver side radiator bulk head just to the leftof the fan shroud. You will see a single electrical connection as well as hoses connected.  Try bypassing that to see if it is leaking.  Mine did and i just left it bypassed.  All this assumes you do not have any leaks or disconnected hose on the intake manifold.  Let us know how you do on this.

Glen

Be careful on testing the headlight door actuators.  If you move them too far in the retract direction the seal on the piston will be deflected by the beveled corner at the bottom and it will leak.  You need to be sure the actuator rods are adjusted so that the piston does not travel too far.  The seal will become distorted and it will leak. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Rob Troxel

Thanks Glen,

I had not given that a thought so maybe the best way is to check them in the extended mode.