News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering wheel restoration

Started by 57CaddyBiarritz, August 19, 2012, 08:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57CaddyBiarritz

Hi

Does anyone know region company to get a steering wheel restored for a 57 Cadillac?  My is cracked due to age n I'd like to bring it to show quality.  Thanks.

quadfins

I had one wheel restored by a certain company. looked good for about a year, then began to have issues.

Took another one to the local auto body shop. I don't know what magic wand they used, but the cracks have never reappeared, and they matched the colors perfectly. It has lasted several years, and no signs of ageing.

Try that route.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

R Sotardi #11719

JB Donaldson in Phoenix did my 50 model 62. He is a CLC member and an expert on steering wheel recasting. What  do  you expect to pay , cause recasting is the best way but expensive? Ron

57flw

Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Renato

We always use a special epoxy filler before painting. Slow work, but finally looks as good as a new steering wheel.
R. Bognar

57CaddyBiarritz

Thanks.  I figured it would be expensive, but am just looking for a quality job.

gary griffin

I sent mine to "Steering Wheel Bob" (609 397 8771). He does the epoxy fill and paint with special paints and has a good guarantee. Mine was too bad and he put a new rim on it and it looks great. I fyou want to see it go to restoration blogs and look at my 1942 restoration. He also paintes all of the cabin plastic (Turn signal knob, shift knob radio buttons, hand brake handle, heater controls and so forth. I was quite happy with the work and he even provided sme of the special paint for future touch up if needed.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver