News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

After market gauges, any pictures?

Started by fasted55, August 20, 2012, 11:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasted55

My 1979 Coupe De Ville was the pinnacle of idiot lights only - not one gauge beyond the bare minimum.  Have any of you guys added some gauges in a tasteful fashion?  Living in Phoenix I definitely want water and oil temp and probably oil pressure and voltage as well.  Any favorites as to manufacturer?  Please post some pictures if so.  Thanks, Ed

TJ Hopland

Here is a thread I started a while ago.   I ended up with other projects so I never did anything myself but I keep thinking about it and I still think this system would be the way to go.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=112949.msg175833#

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Those bar / dot displays aren't all that hard to make yourself, for those
into electronics.  They can be custom fitted into a pretty tight place,
but are a bit dim for direct sunlight.  I like the setup that goes from
green to red at a particular point.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

I few years back, I had a 1985 Eldorado convertible that I bought from a guy in Rhode Island.  After about two weeks it developed an external coolant leak due to a blown head gasket.

I pulled the engine and had it completely rebuilt.  During the process, I added an additional sender for the oil pressure, and for the water temp.  This required a couple of adapters plumbed into the factory oil pressure port, and drilling and threading the intake for an additional sensor.  The volt meter just picks up any hot source with key on.

The gauges I used were made by a company called Cyberdyne.  http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/

I really could not come up with a clever or discrete location for them so instead, I opted for an in-your-face installation as you can see in the photos below.  I will tell you this, they worked great and gave me a real solid feeling as far as knowing what my oil pressure and temp was at all times after the rebuild.

I took an extra glove box door and mounted the gauges in holes I drilled with a hole saw through the front skin of the glove box door.  From inside, you couldn't even tell there was anything added.

The gauges are all electronic so there was no metal lines to run or flex, just wires.

The installation was not discreet, and perhaps you won't like the way they looked, but the only modification to the car's appearance involved a spare glove box door and could have been changed back at any time just by snipping a few wires and turning a few screws.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

fasted55

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I like Brian's idea of installing the gauges in a way to allow the switch back to stock easy.  Regards, Ed

62droptop

looks good in the glovebox
that is onethick door!

you have room for a few more!