News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

472 Engines

Started by WhiteCaddy70, August 21, 2012, 01:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteCaddy70

From what I can find, the 68-69 472 engines were 10.5/ 1 compression ratio. The 70 472 engine is 10/ 1 compression ratio. Why did Cadillac make this change in 1970. Thanks.
Doug Brinson

Dave Shepherd

Maybe the onslaught of upcoming emissions, look at what happened in 71,  Or they saw that .5 made no difference in power, yet put high test fuel on the edge with 10.5.

TJ Hopland

The change was in the chamber shape and size in the top of the piston.  By that time they were dealing with emissions regulations so maybe the change gave them a slightly better swirl or flame propagation that helped emissions?  Could also be related to the 500 that came out that year.  Maybe during testing for the 500 they found some advantage that they also applied to the 472.  Pistons and crank were the only difference between the 472 and 500.  The first 4 years the 500's had different oil pans but that was due to it only being in the Eldo's.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

My recollection of my conversation with Mr. Robert Templin who was Chief Engineer of Cadillac Engineering during the time these motors were developed is that it was a combination of just correcting the actual numbers (in static compression ratio), and making the engine perform better.
They knew back in the early '60s that emmissions were coming and compression ratios would be dropping drastically, but that was already scheduled for the '71 models across the GM lines.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-