News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ANOTHER MISPRINT IN 78 REPAIR MANUAL ?????

Started by R Schroeder, November 21, 2013, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

A few years ago I found a misprint in the load level section , with the relay wiring.
Today I was looking at the antenna test section and found this diagram.
Read the caption at the top , then look at the retract picture on the right.

WHITE TO GRAY ?

Roy

Gene Beaird

Hmm, what's that funny smell?  Looks like the magic smoke has been let out!!   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

The Tassie Devil(le)

I thought only Lucas used Smoke as the electrical medium.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillactim

That's not a typo.  What it means is don't connect positive and negative to the grey and white wires not positive and positive.  To raise the antenna the green and grey wires are used (positive/negative), and to lower the antenna the white and green wires are used (positive/negative).  Notice the combinations are green and grey, white and green.  The grey and white wires are not used together to operate the antenna, which is what the message is saying.

Tim
Tim Groves

R Schroeder

Thanks Tim.
I think it became a little clearer to me when I looked at the wiring diagram.
To me, it looks like the relay is doing the reversing of the power to the antenna motor , depending on if the radio is on or off. Radio pulls in the relay.  One or the other contacts in the antenna are going to be open. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The first picture I posted makes sense if this is the case.
My wiring diagram has the first design color codes.
Roy

cadillactim

Roy

Correct, the relay switches the polarity of the green wire to the antenna motor.  The limit switch inside the antenna turns the motor off after a set number or revolutions.

Tim
Tim Groves

R Schroeder

Thanks Tim.
It took a while to get through my thick head..............ha
Roy